HS BB, but at least one problem

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Bigmuddy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    After going shooting over the weekend and not getting any descent shots, gave it another try tonight.

My problem, our home team colors are purple and grey.., not blue and grey.
    Problably not enough light for my lens do you think?
    A-mode, 5.0, 150.0 mm,

[​IMG]

I got the purple to come out in post, but the orange looked bad.
    [​IMG]

2. What WB are u using purple can be problematic at times my local H.S is purple and black which is a nightmare at night football games

3. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Mike - thanks for the reply. WB has been my nemesis to figure out how to set it so I leave it on auto.

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Hummmm These seem to have a weird "aspect ratio" adjustment as well. Kinda like a stretched or condensed picture on a wide screen TV.

Having shot purple leotards in gymnastics, I can attest that if there is a color that the camera struggles with, purple is it. I would strongly suggest you shoot in RAW and try some white balance modifications on the files when you get home. The experience may help you understand the nuances of WB and correct the issue going forward.

The purple on the girls shots you have in your gallery look OK......

Changing WB on Jpgs is a real headache......

5. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    GBRandy - Thanks for the suggestion. These two shots were shot in Raw, and I just played with the WB some on another shot and the purple looks better.

6. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Brian, if your light isn't constantly changing, i.e. sun moving in and out of clouds, a "preset" white balance off of a gray card will solve your problem...and shoot RAW as mentioned.

BTW, I'm getting the weird distortion on the pics as well.

7. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Does this look any better?

[​IMG]

8. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    I was thinking the same thing.

9. Brian,

I've experienced some really strange things happen with purple on my monitor also with many of my images. Even worse, I've discovered in most cases, that it looks blue on my monitor and prints just the prettiest purple you've ever seen.:confused:

It's definitely a challenging color to hit right. But mine always seem to print out correctly. I wished I had an answer for you.

Good job & thanks for posting.

Best Wishes,

10. Try sampling the grey uniform to set the WB in NC or NX