HS Boy's Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jim Hall, Apr 26, 2007.

1. My fourth attempt at shooting soccer with my 300 2.8. I concentrated this time on not blowing out the white uniforms & trying to compose quickly. Hard to capture a close up "frame full" with this lens without searching. More practice, practice, practice. Here's my latest. Shot D2Xs, 300 2.8, A mode @ f 4.0-2.8, iso 400, ev= -0.7, dynamic group focus.

Thanks for looking!:smile: :smile: :smile:

#1 Goalie missed this one!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 "That really hurts!!!"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 Yes, that's the sideline. A big "A" for effort, though.
    [​IMG]

2. Man, spot on stuff Jim! Good action shots and sharp as a tack!

3. Thanks Peter! I appreciate it. I'm having a lot of fun learning how to do this.

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Really nice shots. Clean, focused...good action! Just good stuff here!

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Jim, your shots are very good, I've tried soccer once and failed miserably so I know just how tough it is to follow the action with a long prime. Don't you wish the one team had a color instead of white? I enjoy viewing your work and hope that you'll be a regular in this forum. Sweet shots Jim!

6. Thanks Jeff for the kind words. I appreciate it. Some others on here are much better than I.

Well, through my kids & actually learning to be a referee, I somewhat understand the game. That helps, but not much. Got to learn how to swing that 300 up and pop it quicker. I tried using a monopod initially and it was more of a problem than just sitting down and using my knees for support. Plus, I like the angle better.

Everyone talks about background. Heck, I've got enough problems just trying to get a decent shot, much less being particular with the background.:frown: Try the best I can to just use a shallow DOF to keep the "busy" down to a minimum. And yes, it would be nice if one didn't have white on all the time, but I'm not complaining. At least the game is in the afternoon and not at night.

Thanks for looking Frank, and your offline help was appreciated.

Best Wishes,

7. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    For a 1st, 4th, or 100th attempt....These are good...Great action.

Nice

8. Nice job, Jim. Lots of good action, and you nailed the exposures.

9. Thank you, Rod. I thought I kind of knew how to take pictures, but this sports stuff is different. It's really exciting though when you nail the shot. Not that I "nail" very many at this point. A certain sense of accomplishment, don't you think??

10. Very nice of you to take time to comment, Dave. I appreciate your compliment. I'll be heading up your way around 30 June to visit my son. Maybe you can tell me some places to take pictures.

Best Wishes,

11. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Very nice shots Jim! The 300 2.8 can be a bear to handle, but you are WELL on your way. Practice, practice practice...get a few more games under your belt with that great glass and you'll be "nailing" even more.

12. Ray, I appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking time.

Best Wishes,

13. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Jim .... you did a GREAT job with the white.... im jelous .... seriously man i am ... hope to see a lot more of your sports shots here in the sports forum !!

14. Topher,

Thank you for the comments. I am trying hard to get the exposure, composition, etc. correct "in camera" vs relying so much on post-processing. Plus, getting these players in focus is tough for me. I wish I could blame the equipment, but it's "operator technique", so I just have to practice more. Maybe someday (with help from others here), I'll get half as good as some of the folks on this forum.

But in the interim, I'm just having fun. I really enjoy it.

I appreciate your time.

Best,

15. Jim, these are as good as they get...very impressive technically and compositionaly

16. Randy,

High praise from someone as proficient at this as you are. Thank you very much for your time & comments. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

17. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    There's a LOT of shooters here better than me.:smile: That's ok, they are very willing to help me learn. It's all good.