1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

HS Football: T'was a dark & grainy night...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jeff Mims, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
  2. lol, nice thread title!

What lens did you use?

They are grainy, but that happens with HS football. You captured some great action.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    As much as I dislike night football with flash enhancement, I think a bit of fill would have improved the overall image quality. In most of your images, motion blur was managed to a minimum, so some fill flash would have opened up the shadows nicely. I don't use the dome when I shoot with a flash, but maybe that dome would help to allow just enough power without causing the numbers to glow. The bottom line, it's going to be a long football season, we need to continue to tweak as we go, but we need to write down what works so the next time out we aren't starting from zero the next week. Keep up the good work Jeff.

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thanks Frank...
    I was experimenting with the D300 (w/o flash) for the 1st half. I had to go to ISO 2000 and beyond. Frustrating indeed.
    If that wasn't enough, right after I post my photos...Mike Mac posts his HS footballs.
    :redface:

Now I really feel :tongue: about my shots.

5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I was using a D300, 300 f/2.8 on monopod, w flash turned off, ISO to 2000 and up.
    So much for that experiment.

6. I think they turned out rather nice, considering.

7. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Jeff , nobody wants to post when Mike posts.
    Bad timing on youre part there.:biggrin:

8. Nice stuff in the dark. Brandon played at the Mississippi College field Friday night and the lighting was better than usual but still not great. It look DAAAARK here.

PA kicked butt Friday, congrats.

Dennis

9. hey, not bad Jeff, I have to shoot my daughter's FH game on a similar (lit) field Mon nite and I'm hoping the D300 does as well....

We all bow to the Mike Mac shrine here :biggrin:

10. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    If Mike would give me notice before he posts, I'd hold up on posting mine.:smile:

11. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Well good news and bad news.
    Bad news....lighting will be terrible if it's like mine

Good news, the D300 didn't fail..I did. I left the flash off for awhile, but I'll know better next time.
    You should do just fine with the D300.

12. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thanks Steve.

13. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    In the dark is right. I might as well be shooting in a cave. :smile:
    Thanks for the kind words.

PA has a very talented team this year, but not much depth at all. When they start playing those Jackson teams, it will be a different story.

14. There is noting wrong with you shots that you posted here. Number 1 is a solid shot, I would work a bit with shadows and highlights a tad and then work with curves is PS. NUmner 2 no face shot but great action for any parnet to buy, would follow what I said in number one. I can't chech exif here at the office, but it is safe to say action was coming at you in the darkest part of the field. It look to me that you where dialed in with a 1500 or less ISO with a low shutter setting good capture put some blur at the foot. The last two shots well down curves and a shadow adjustment work work much better. Content is bang on. Great work

15. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Jeff there is nothing wrong with these photos. You worked with what you had and they turned out pretty nice.

;) 

16. cbarnes

cbarnes

Sep 6, 2008
    MS
    more mississippi football

first time to try to post a pic

http://chuckbarnes.smugmug.com/phot...mugmug.com/photos/357512364_DqJ8W-M.jpg[/IMG]

17. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    I believe you can synch the D300's flash faster than 1/250, correct?

18. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    No

Unless you go into fp mode which will reduse flash power and IMO is useless for football when using a 300mm lens.

19. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    plus the fact your really just using HSS from my understanding.

20. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thanks Craig.
    You're spot on about where I was on the field. Good eye.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.