HS Girls Rugby

We hosted a rugby tournament at my school yesterday but I was only able to shoot for 20 minutes (hate being stuck in class all day).

This was my first time using the 400 2.8 I picked up from a fellow Cafe member ... attached it to my D300 & 1.4tc just to see how much reach I could get. Backgrounds were not the best on the first field but were fantastic on our main field. The last two photos are fairly heavy crops.

Hope you like them.

1. A mini Heisman pose.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Finding a seam

3. "Trying" to break a tackle

4. Scoping the field for defenders

5. Gotcha

Thanks for looking.

Brent

Hi Bret some cracking action!,
not sure about the last 2!, too much image degregation IMHO. what white balance is it set at as #'s 1-3 look a little red/pink on my monitor?.

Cracking lens you've aquired I'm more than a bit green with envy:biggrin:. Kind regards Graham

400mm, plus 1.4x, on a crop! You'd only get them at the other end of the field wouldn't you? :eek::biggrin:
Obviously focuses fast enough. Neat shots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Guys,

Thanks for checking out the photos.

@ Graham: Yup, a bit of image degradation in the last two. I was at the back of the endzone & these were at the far end of the field but I just wanted to see what kind of results I'd get shooting at that distance ... they were cropped quite heavily.

@ Chris: Thanks ... first time out with the beast. Can't hand hold this sucker & my monopod was bending a little bit even though it's supposed to be able to hold even more weight! Going to shoot another rugby game tomorrow so I might pop the D700 on the 400 & just go without the TC.

@ Russ: On the second field (first 3 photos) I was able to shoot from the goal line & fill about 80% of the frame when the action was at the far end of the field ... not quite the same results on the normal sized field.

Thanks for the feedback.

Brent

good effort, agree that the last two are a bit dodgy

loving rugby photos though, bring em on

the 400 is still a bit of a battle to use even if youve used a 300 etc before eh

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Darren,

The last two I posted were just for fun as I know the IQ was not good ... the lens does take a bit getting used to but it's a good kind of battle :biggrin:

Shot another girls rugby game today & will get some shots up shortly.

Take care,

Brent

good effort, agree that the last two are a bit dodgy

loving rugby photos though, bring em on

the 400 is still a bit of a battle to use even if youve used a 300 etc before eh

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom