1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

HS Girls Rugby

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Hockey_Nut, May 7, 2011.

1. We hosted a rugby tournament at my school yesterday but I was only able to shoot for 20 minutes (hate being stuck in class all day).

This was my first time using the 400 2.8 I picked up from a fellow Cafe member ... attached it to my D300 & 1.4tc just to see how much reach I could get. Backgrounds were not the best on the first field but were fantastic on our main field. The last two photos are fairly heavy crops.

Hope you like them.

1. A mini Heisman pose.

i-9F5Vn2r-X3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Finding a seam

i-6VT3k3v-X3.jpg

3. "Trying" to break a tackle

i-3MbLHZR-X3.jpg

4. Scoping the field for defenders

i-rDqNpkk-X3.jpg

5. Gotcha

i-7G8WS3h-X3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Brent

2. Hi Bret some cracking action!,
    not sure about the last 2!, too much image degregation IMHO. what white balance is it set at as #'s 1-3 look a little red/pink on my monitor?.

Cracking lens you've aquired I'm more than a bit green with envy:biggrin:. Kind regards Graham

3. nice work Brent, and congrats on the 400 you dog ':jealous:'

4. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    400mm, plus 1.4x, on a crop! You'd only get them at the other end of the field wouldn't you? :eek: :biggrin:
    Obviously focuses fast enough. Neat shots.

5. Hey Guys,

Thanks for checking out the photos.

@ Graham: Yup, a bit of image degradation in the last two. I was at the back of the endzone & these were at the far end of the field but I just wanted to see what kind of results I'd get shooting at that distance ... they were cropped quite heavily.

@ Chris: Thanks ... first time out with the beast. Can't hand hold this sucker & my monopod was bending a little bit even though it's supposed to be able to hold even more weight! Going to shoot another rugby game tomorrow so I might pop the D700 on the 400 & just go without the TC.

@ Russ: On the second field (first 3 photos) I was able to shoot from the goal line & fill about 80% of the frame when the action was at the far end of the field ... not quite the same results on the normal sized field.

Thanks for the feedback.

Brent

6. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    Not endzone in rugby. It's the in-goal area, or just in-goal.

7. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    good effort, agree that the last two are a bit dodgy

loving rugby photos though, bring em on

the 400 is still a bit of a battle to use even if youve used a 300 etc before eh

8. My bad ... I don't know much about the game except that there's a ton of starts/stops!

9. Hey Darren,

The last two I posted were just for fun as I know the IQ was not good ... the lens does take a bit getting used to but it's a good kind of battle :biggrin:

Shot another girls rugby game today & will get some shots up shortly.

Take care,

Brent

10. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    Nah just letting you know so you can sound knowledgeable!

I always reckon American football has too many start/stops!! :confused:  :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.