1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

HS Golf, Two Firsts for Me Today

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Aqualung, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Well today I was able to meet Geoff Bolte for the first time today, and had the pleasure of shooting HS golf, also the first time I've ever shot golf. As luck would have it, it was my daughter's HS, and, we happened upon two sons of very good friends of mine as subjects.

Geoff had been able to get a cart so we were cruising in style :cool:  Geoff, great shooting w/ you, see you again soon, looking forward to your pics.

D300 & 70-200, EXIF intact...the shadows were a challenge, on several I've considerably tweaked the face in PSE.

thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-003.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-011.jpg

thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-034.jpg

thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-052.jpg

5. The obligatory atmosphere shot :wink:
    thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-069.jpg

thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-075.jpg

thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-084.jpg

8. Forgot to boost ISO, ss too slow, but ended up liking the effect...ball coming off the club head...
    thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-088.jpg

9. Ditto...
    thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-094.jpg

thawks%20golf%20sep%2018%2008-133.jpg

2. Looks like you boys had a good day of shooting, nice captures. On my monitor some of the PP'd faces (2 and 4?) look a bit mottled.

3. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    I like the spray on that first shot. Nice job with the tough lighting conditions.

4. Yeah I was thinking the same as Brooks, a little noisy/mottled.

Chris it was great to finally meet, we had a great shoot, and hopefully will be able to do it again soon. I will be posting mine shortly.

5. Yup, those were two I lightened the shadows in post, perhaps a little too much, I'll go back and re-do...thanks guys.

6. Interesting to see such a varied selection of WB and contrast.

I like them.

mike

7. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Chris ... isn't golf fun !! ........ here's a tip .... when you lighten up a shadow on somebody's body ... make sure you also tweek the other shadows a bit.... #2 looks good (bit of grain but whatever) .... but it really stands out because it doesn't look like you did much on any of the other shadows (under left arm, shirt area etc) .... it's like trying to solve a linear equation... what you do to one side you need to do to the other.... idk .. food for thought... ! And im WAY jelous you got to shoot with Geoff .....

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    nice chris! my two favorite things, Nikon and golf! Classic shot on #6 maybe you can work to open it up some

9. kwf1

kwf1

Nov 15, 2007
    S. Florida
    Great shot Chris. You have your timing down on those drives. I shot golf for the first time also, but could only stay a bit. I want to go back and stay a little longer. One day I'll get to Mass, and meet up with you and Geoff.

Bert

10. thanks Mike...

Thanks Topher, appreciate the tip...time to work on my PS skills...oh yeah, it was fun shooting w/ Geoff, he's done this before :biggrin:

Thanks Tim....def will try to work on the other shadows...

thanks Bert, yes indeed, that would be great fun!!

11. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Chris nice shots, great timing. I've shot golf before and riding around in a cart is the way to go. I had to walk once at a state series with my 300mm and 70-200 and it was no fun.

12. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    These look real nice Chris. I think golf is fun to shoot. Have only done it once but hope
    to get out again before the snow flies.

Good stuff.

13. Bert I'd prefer to get down to your area instead.

14. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Nice timing, and the kids have good form.

Whats the kid in #4 doing? Lining up the put?

I think the slower shutter drives work very well, shows the head speed but you captured the golfers sharply.

15. thanks Ron, yeah, I can imagine that would NOT be fun...

Thanks Rod, I may try to do this on my own again...

Thanks Kurt...yes, he's just starting to address the ball; 'cuz of his hat, the shots of him actually putting weren't that good and this is one of my friend's son so I wanted his face.

Yeah, I've filed that SS away for future knowledge, it definitely wasn't planned :smile:

16. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Well done for your first outing Chris--Thanks for sharing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.