HS Golf: Which one do you prefer?

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Been a long while since I posted in the Sports forum, and I'd like to get a couple opinions on two photos in a series. Which is the preferable shot of this young man hitting out of a bunker? Thanks for the help!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Both are great shots, nice eye contact and uber sharp, #2 for me too, I have to agree with Iscariot the whites do look overcooked.

Graham

For me, it's a clear choice--#2. The sand spray takes up a much larger portion of the frame versus more dead space in the first image. The ball is more isolated from the sand in #2. And, his face is more visible in the second shot.

Glenn

#2 without question. Clearer view of face, especially THE EYES; arm is not cut off by the green; the action is spread more through the frame and is not restricted to the middle; face, club and ball form a much more balanced composition; larger spray of sand.

Last edited by a moderator:

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I prefer the second shot. The whites seem very hot though
One vote for number two. Thank you. As for the ball, yes it is slightly over-exposed. It is a white golf ball, so it is going to be the brightest thing in the photo. I was exposing with the thought to err on the side of over (to the right) rather than try to pull out details from underexposed portions later.

I knew that I wasn't going to get any detail out of the ball, I wasn't too concerned about it.

Second as his face is clearer.
Thanks, my thought as well.

Both are great shots, nice eye contact and uber sharp, #2 for me too, I have to agree with Iscariot the whites do look overcooked.

Graham
Thanks, Graham. Yeah, the hat and the ball - a bit bright.

For me, it's a clear choice--#2. The sand spray takes up a much larger portion of the frame versus more dead space in the first image. The ball is more isolated from the sand in #2. And, his face is more visible in the second shot.

Glenn
Glenn, thanks. Your eye for composition is a huge help on the forum, and this is another example of it.

#2 without question. Clearer view of face, especially THE EYES; arm is not cut off by the green; the action is spread more through the frame and is not restricted to the middle; face, club and ball form a much more balanced composition; larger spray of sand.
As is your eye for composition, Cliff. :smile: Thank you!

#2 for me as well Glenn...for the reasons stated.
Loving these votes for number two. Thanks, Chris.

Yep - no.2
Thanks, Russ. That seals it for me. Number two.

My choice was the second photo. What I didn't mention was that my brother is the golf coach for this team and for some reason he liked the first photo more. I tried to tell him why the second was the "better" shot, but I wanted some backup on it!

Thanks, guys!

My choice was the second photo. What I didn't mention was that my brother is the golf coach for this team and for some reason he liked the first photo more. I tried to tell him why the second was the "better" shot, but I wanted some backup on it!

Thanks, guys!
That may be for reasons of golf coaching rather than artistic appreciation... :smile:

2nd shot by fart much clear view of the face and you can see him tracking the ball, plus the snad spray is much nicer and more dispersed.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That may be for reasons of golf coaching rather than artistic appreciation... :smile:
I do believe you are right about that.

2nd shot by fart much clear view of the face and you can see him tracking the ball, plus the snad spray is much nicer and more dispersed.
Completely agree, Mike. Thanks.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom