1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

HS Soccer Action

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GeoffBolte, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Well went into today thinking I would be shooting a soccer game then a football game, well luckily on my part I double checked the schedule for each school and the football game is tomorrow. Which isn't on my job sheet so I just need to let the boss know to reschedule. Anyways here are a few selects from todays soccer game as I did get that in.

D300 300mm f2.8, f2.8 ISO 250-320 SS 1/1600th-1/4000th.
    Dealt with some harsh backlighting as well, since the field was east/west, and one of the goals was in line with ths sun.

Enjoy and C&C always welcome!

A little jube!
    GCB_9521.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/2.8    1/8000s    ISO 320

About 20 seconds later opposing team scores!
    GCB_9538.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/2.8    1/2000s    ISO 320

GCB_9426.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/2.8    1/5000s    ISO 320

4. As you can see from this image extreme backlighting.
    GCB_9614.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/2.8    1/2500s    ISO 320

GCB_9709.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/2.8    1/6400s    ISO 250

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Between the harsh lighting, the backlighting and the white uniforms, I'll bet you were working like a dog trying to overcome.

3. you did well w/ the harsh light Geoff, bet you're glad no football today in the rain...

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    There needs to be a law preventing that combination!

You handled it well, Geoff

5. Very nice job handling the severe lighting condtions

6. Nice stuff with what you had to deal with.

Why ISO 250-320 though?

7. Frank, amazingly not as much as you'd think. The D300 does pretty well, a few time I'd be changing SC but not as much as you'd think.

Thanks Chris, looking forward to my first night game this fall, Monday with you.

I don't mind rain tends for an interesting shoot. Some real good shots can come from games that don't seem like you should be there.

Thanks!

Thanks Mike

D300 was giving me some low SS in some areas due to backlighting and dark green trees, so I bumped the ISO a little to compensate.

8. Geoff,
    you handled the pressure of shooting in these difficult condition very well.

9. Thanks Greg.

10. wembley

wembley

Mar 26, 2006
    Naples, Fl
    Good job here.

Has MA made it mandatory for mouthguards (gumshields)?

wembley

11. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    since when do soccer players wear mouth guards? lol

12. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I think these are good shots. I especially like 3,4 and 5. That you got shots these good, in spite of harsh lighting is even more impressive.

13. Not sure but it does seem like it, as most if not all had one.

As of today I guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.