HS Softball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Bigmuddy, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    I am a new member, and posted 2 photos of our HS girls softball game.
    This is my first attempt at softball (it is tough shooting thru the chain link fence...). I was not sure what to expect on my first outing and have plenty of learning ahead of me, but I am looking forward to the challenge.

Please click on the link below and you will see a BHS sports album. Once you click on the pics you can also click on the "enlarge" button.

Thanks everyone.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Brian and welcome to the Nikon Cafe. Glad that you joined us in the Sports forum, we are enjoying a great time learning from one another. I took a look at the two images that you posted and they aren't bad considering shooting softball is new for you and you shot them through a chainlink fence. Everyone has different shooting style and taste, so there is no wrong way to shoot. Regarding the image that you shot of the pitcher, you might try holding your camera vertically so you can crop a bit and highlight the pitcher's entire body. If you have a zoom long enough, I would zoom in so you can see more of her rather than widening out. The other shot isn't bad, I would also recommend zooming in tighter to highlight the action at first base and minimize on whatever is happening laterally. The more you shoot sports action, you will certainly find your own groove. Keep the images coming.

3. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Frank,

Thanks for the great feedback and welcome. I understand what you are saying about the cropping, zooming, and getting the subject tighter. I really didnt crop these two tight because I was just excited they came out half way descent.
    I will keep your tips in mind on my next journey to the diamond.

And I will echo alot of the other memebers in this forum..., your shoits are fantastic.

4. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    I did have one photo where I turned the camera sideways to shoot the pitcher, which Frank suggested to me.
    Think I need to work on getting the ball in focus also.

(cold, 40 degrees and overcast)

[​IMG]

This second shot is kind of weak I think.

[​IMG]

5. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Looks like you figured out how to post images just fine. As Frank said try to get in on the action as much as you can. Get that shutter speed as high as you can with the available light and that will help to stop that ball. I always llike to see seems in my shots..Doesn't always happen though..:biggrin:

Keep shooting as much as you can....The pics will get better each time out.

6. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Brian,

Welcome to the forum. Just keep posting shots and listening to the advice of the friendly and knowledgeable people in this forum and you will notice immediate improvements in your shooting. I don't feel I have earned the right to give advice at this point, only support!

7. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks for the advice Rod and Ron. Will make a mental note on the ISO.
    Not sure if the pics will get better each time out..., if it's like my golf game I'm not sure if there is hope..lol.

That is the great thing about this forum, the advice and all shots posted. A great learning tool.

And, my tribe gives up 6 runs to the yanks in the 9th :mad:

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Brian, this is not a bad shot and it is no fun shooting in bad weather conditions. When shooting fast pitch softball you will need fast shutter speeds to stop the throwing arm of the pitcher and I'm sure that you know this already. I prefer to shoot in Aperture Priority with my aperture set to wide open or slightly closed depending on the amount of DOF I am interested in. I encourage you to experiment with aperture settings so you can enjoy the differences in the end results. And don't be afraid to bump up the ISO, a bit of noise reduction in post can solve any grain issues quickly.

This one looks as though you were metered for a different shot and didn't re-adjust or it was a large crop in post. But, I still hold the heavy cloud cover responsible for the motion blur.