1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hudson, MA Ballon festival (my shots) - evening shots added

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by BostonRott, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  2. nice shots, gretchen
    i'm so happy to see these
    glad the weather cooperated.... so often it does NOT

3. It started off foggy/overcast, but the sun did come out, and its been a pretty nice day. Weather forecasts make it seem that it should hold for the glow too! :biggrin: I've got a pizza dough rising, and we'll take a home-made pizza picnic along to enjoy.

4. home-made pizza and a sunset balloon liftoff..... wow...
    great combo
    wish i still lived in SHARON..... where i was, many years ago

have a great night
    i can't wait to see the images

5. I like the shot inside the balloon. For me though, the others are lacking something. I think it's maybe contrast and vibrance/saturation as well as sharpness. I think this may be more post processing than anything. Still dig the inside shot, though even it seems to lack a bit of sharpness. Did your lens fog up any with the humidity?

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I love these, Gretchen. And I am with you...the rainbow balloon is the greatest! So beautiful.
    Great minds think alike! We're having homemade pizza tonight as well!

7. yum, sounds good. Nicely done Gretchen, nice composition.

8. Hi,

No, no fogged lens. :redface: I have viewed these (after your comments) on two monitors here, one is calibrated, and one is not. One tends to show me things as more washed out, and even on that one, they don't look bad.

The copyrights look poor, I was experimenting with them (and have decided they didn't come out right). I see some softness in few (probably due to low shutter speeds), but the colors look pretty solid to me.

I hope everyone isn't seeing them as poorly as you, I'd hate to think that I had them adjusted well but the world is seeing them through a fog. :frown:

9. Ok, does this look better?? I added more sharpening and brought up the dark slider in levels.

Orig:

Adjusted:
    View attachment 237811

10. oooooooooo
    that adjusted one is even better
    thanks for adding it here, gretchen

11. I went back and added a minor levels adjustment and more sharpening to all photos, hopefully they look better now! :redface:

12. Here are two from this evening (we went back, it's only about 30 min away). :smile:

View attachment 237813

13. they DO look better, quite frankly
    of course, it's possible that the way you ORIGINALLY posted them was more accurate....

14. LOVE the evening shots.... especially that second one
    thanks for taking the time to add them tonight

15. ah, you were able to get that reflection shot, very nice. Neat night shot, too. I wasn't able to get back, unfortunately....

16. hey Gretchen, I understand you met Rich last night, he wanted me to post a link to his shots...

17. Gretchen, those look 100% better IMHO, and was exactly what I had in mind in my critique (maybe just a very tiny bit oversharpened now). I hope said critique wasn't taken the wrong way. I just felt that the way the images were originally posted did not match up to the image quality the D3 is known for. In fact, they almost had a point and shoot cam look to them. MUCH better now. BTW, which lens did you use for the balloon flight over the water? Was it the 10.5 or was it the 14-24/2.8? The upper left balloon is a bit distorted, which takes away from the image a little for me. That's probably a rather easy correction in photoshop. Nice shots. Love the night time shot. I wish I lived near a place that had balloon festivals like Albaquerque, NM.

18. Hi Gretchen. I just got some of my shots sorted out. I haven't edited them or resized them but I did post them on my Mac Gallery,http://gallery.me.com/nikondslr300#100036
    (gotta love Macs).
    PS:Chris, hope you don't mind but you're in there too. ;-)

19. hey Kriss, some nice looking shots...NP on my entry :wink:

20. Thanks Chris. I have resized some of them and perhaps I'll post a new message with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.