1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Huge Disapointment

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by paradiddle, Jul 15, 2007.

1. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    I stayed up last night and built one of the black straw snoots. Took a couple shots of my kids. I loaded them in Capture NX. Straight out of the camera and on my computer I loved the pictures - no PP.

Also rushed for time I uploaded to Wolf Camera - (4 x 6) and (5 x 7) - matte finish ( I had never done this). The pictures looked very bad, dark, and dull. Here is the picture as the camera took it as a JPEG.

[​IMG]

I have gone to the raw adjusted exposure, WB and a couple other things.

Here it is. Do you think it will print nicely?

[​IMG]

2. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I never used Wolf's Camera for printing. Even with my calibrated equipment, I find that prints tend to come out a little darker if on glossy (or matte) and such. You usually need to have very good lighting conditions to view the image to get optimal results so you are better off making sure it is a little bit brighter.

Furthermore, the initial picture looked quite a bit underexposed.

Your 2nd picture should be better. If it looks really dull though, perhaps you should make sure you still have an ICC profile embedded in the image.

3. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Carroll - I still have the RAW NEF file? I don't know what ICC profile is. When I post my images to smugmug they look much duller than what I have on my computer. I am making the edits in Capture NX then saving as a JPEG file. When I save I am saving for best quality.

4. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    What Color Mode / Color Space are you using? ICC Profiles just mean the images are tagged with what color space they are coming from. Without that, a printer will have random results in the final output (far worse than normal variance).

5. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Capture NX on the NEF file says Mode 1A. I am reading a book on Capture NX and havent found what mode equals sRGB or Adobe RGB. From what I am reading it appears for printing I would get better prints using the Adobe RGB? Do I understand correctly?

6. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Mode 1A/1, and 3/3A is sRGB.
    Mode 2 is aRGB (adobe).

No, it is not necessarily true that you will get better prints using aRGB. It is a rather huge can of worms in itself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.