Huge fellow

This is the first time I actually asked someone if I can take their picture. It was a pleasant experience.

p939418056-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
IMO, this suffers from the darkness of the eye sockets and losing the rest of his torso. Without a reference, even to the ground, his size is only hinted at.

This looks like it was taken in the little park across from the Inner Harbor in Baltimore.

Lew

Thanks Lew.
They eyes are just a tad bit dark, still totally visible, but I didn't want to blow away the backround, such that it was.
I do wish I had some kind of reference to his size, but it is what it is.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
A little selective dodging on a neutral gray layer will open up the eyes a bit.
It is just a fact of life that a dark skin and dark shirt against a bright background poses a difficult exposure problem.

A quick bracketing of exposure might be necessary.

selective.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yes you certainly did open up those eyes a bit. :smile:

I remember checking the histogram after the first underexposed shot of the guy, and realizing that he was backlit. So I adjusted the exposure, but maybe a half a stop to little.
I didn't even think about the dark shirt on dark skin.

Thanks,
floyd

Real Name
Tim Grist
Nice shot Floyd. You've done well to lift the detail from the shadows. He looks a nice guy.

Floyd, first off, way to go for asking for the shot! Agree with Lew on opening up the eyes with some dodging. Makes a world of difference seeing this gentle giants soulful glance! Keep inching out of your comfort zone! It's working!:smile:

Floyd, first off, way to go for asking for the shot! Agree with Lew on opening up the eyes with some dodging. Makes a world of difference seeing this gentle giants soulful glance! Keep inching out of your comfort zone! It's working!:smile:

Thanks for the ecouragement Steve ! It does take some extra resolve for me to decide to ask for a photo. Glad I did in this case. I'll do it more. :cool:

a hint of flash to fill in the eyesockets would have helped.

imho: this pic suffers from a lack of scale. there's nothing in the pic that shows "this guy is HUGE!". if he has huge hands, get him holding a can of coke or something else of 'known size'.

i realise that approaching strangers and asking if you can lay a frame on them is a litlte daunting (hey, i'm a press snapper, i do it every day and it;s still a little daunting after 18 years), but once you have their approval, go wild!

in any event, you certainly succeeded in producing a nice portrait of what looks like a pretty affable block.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom