Hum this tune

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tim Z, Dec 22, 2005.

1. As my first image post here, I thought hummers are always a pleasing site. :smile:

Here's a few Anna's Hummingbird shots I worked on in October and November this year. If anyone is interested I can explain my process for capturing these.

D70S, Nikkor 300 f4 AFS,
    one SB-800 and two SB-600 speedlights,
    ISO 200 generally at 1/400 sec and f10 or f11,
    Tripod (always)

Cheers

Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    watch our uncle frank

man these are good.. you better not let uncle frank see these.. he gets pretty jelous... and sure what he will do when he sees these.. great job and welcome to the cafe..keep posting.. love em

Tim

3. LOL . . . . . well being a newbie here, I have no idea who uncle Frank is? Will he draw mustaches on my hummingbirds? :biggrin:

Thanks man :smile:

t

4. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    well not sure if on the hummer pics.. but sleep lightly....

lol

Tim

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    You don't know who Uncle Frank is. I thought everybody knew who Uncle Frank is. Welcome to the Cafe. Great hummer shots. I AM jealous. But one of these days.

6. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Excellent hummer shots.

7. Gorgeous hummer shots, what a way to start here at the Nikon Café. Very well done images.

8. Fantastic shots top notch great lighting and exposure. Please detail your setup and technique

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic for sure :>))))

10. Thanks all :smile: Wow, lots of activity here too . . . . great!

Hi Mike

When I got my new DSLR gear this past summer, I started using two flashes for the hummer shots (one SB-800 and one SB-600) I soon realized that another SB-600 would give me more lighting control, as I am a really stickler for BG lighting as well. So for these shots I set up with the SB-800 as master just to the left of me using the SC-28 flash cable. The first SB-600 is setup off to the right and lighting the back/side of the birds. The SB-800 lights the image side of the bird. The second SB-600 is setup about 20 feet behind the birds pointed at a yellow cedar tree, which for my location is the BG. All three flashes are on tripods. I setup with my D70S and 300 f4 AFS on my tripod about 10 to 12 feet away from where I hang the feeder, and just stand there still and wait for the birds.

The SB-800 allows me to control the exposure for all three flashes. So with just a bit of experimentation I can get the right amount of lighting from each flash.

I have been feeding birds here at my place for about 25 years, so they are all well familar and established with the whole setup. So once the birds are regularly coming to the feeder, I pull the feeder down and replace it with a flower. I also drop some sugar water into the flower so they will hang around it for a few seconds. It only takes minutes for them to come to flower in place of the feeder. This year I plan to plant a hummingbird friendly flower garden, so I can catch them in more natural settings.

I then just focus on the flower at around f11 and take lots of shots while they are in the flower and when pulled back from the flower.

I had tons of hummer shots with just a bird in the image, but felt that having a flower in the image just added that extra pizazz.

We only have two species of hummers here (Annas and Rufous) I have only had my new DSLR since July, so I haven't had a chance to capture the rufous' yet. Can't wait for March when they arrive.

Cheers

Tim

11. Beautiful shots, Tim, and thanks for the explanation.

12. Those are awesome Tim thanks for sharing your technique.

Martin

13. Well I see you have been keeping my, I mean your 300mm af-s warmed up. Awesome shots, luv #1 Tim, tastefully done, luv the colors, composition and it is sharp!!!

14. What a grand entrance! These are beauties!! Post some more!!

15. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Beautiful shots Tim and your lighting was handled perfectly. Welcome to the Cafe (as you can see, I'm new here myself!)

16. So, so, nice! Stunning images.

17. One of Gods little gifts.

Great shots Tim. The Hummers are a gift to us and you sure got some shots that show us their beauty.
    Pete:smile:

18. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Awesome shots Tim!.

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    What a great intro to the Cafe Tim, and great shots as well. Thanks for the info on the set-up too. :wink: