Human beings...

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Removed User 2, May 29, 2007.

1. Human beings. We are cruel. I sincerely thought this guy was dead. I still do. And yet, nobody cared. And I even took a photograph. Them, they we're waiting for an Ice cream.

Web-2007-05-25-1.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2007
  2. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Wow Ned. So true. This is a very powerful image...those shadows really show that cruelty.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Scarey

4. Emotionally, this has got to be your best shot.

5. Very powerful.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't find it cruel, but it does allegorize the human condition, eh?

7. I would have missed that shot because I would have been chasing after my wife, who would have actually found out what was going on with him.

8. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure if I'm missing something, but I can't see the picture.

9. Thanks Matt!
    Yes, the shadows make the image...

Indeed!

You think so? You're probably right...

Thanks

Human behavior, stuipdity... Every day, Chris! :)

:Angel::Angel::Angel:

I'm not sure if you're missing something either, but do you see it now?

10. More like social worker.

11. She has a big heart, Ed! Not everyone could do that job. I know a few social workers...

12. It isn't a heart sort of thing. She's too mean for that.

13. LOL

14. Over the years I have been quite entertained at how she deals with people.

One time in Washington, DC someone walks up to us asking for money. The story that day was how hungry they were.

She offers to buy them a meal at a nearby fast food restaurant. They refuse.

She literally drags the woman into the Burger King and buys her lunch.

Meanwhile I'm out on the sidewalk having a smoke with this poor woman's friend and giving her some money so they can have a chaser after the food.

:biggrin:

She's more a fix the homeless person sort of person while I'm more of a be the homeless person person.

15. That's why you're her husband, after all! :cool:

16. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Did you take the time to put down your camera to see if he was breathing? I hope to God you did.

17. No I didn't. Since he was in front of a McDonalds and so many people around without even noticing him, I felt he was just drunk maybe, asleep. Now I'm feeling bad... I knew I should but I didn't. But would I have been feeling better by finding a dead person on the sidewalk? Human behavior, our behavior is often unpredictable in unknown situations.

18. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Ned, I am disappointed in you. I may leave this forum over this. Photography is one thing, lapsing one's basic human responsibilities another. What was your thinking here? Who cares if this man is dead?....at least I got a good picture? I am disgusted and mortified.

19. Many things crossed my mind at that instant. But merchants letting this guy lay right on their storefront fooled me. And there was that split second where I thought "nah, it's all a dream". When I passed by later (some 20 minutes later) the guy was gone and there was no ambulance in sight, no police, no panic. So I guess I wasn't wrong after all. But that sight was an ugly one. Next time I'll have to adopt another attitude.

20. Sheesh Mike I don't see how you can be so hard on him.

I've done everything from pushing a beggar away, physically, to trying like hell to find help for a mentally ill woman that lived on the street outside of a building I worked in in San Francisco.

Neither one of them makes me a better or worse human being. Life is complicated. Life is hard.

The streets of any big city are often populated with people sleeping on the sidewalk.

When I wander around SF these days with a camera I can't walk 10 feet without a "gangster" telling me to pay for the privilege to photograph him or someone laying their story on me for some coin. Or a local asking where I come from.

Just doesn't seem so simple as Ned was heartless to not drop everything and check the situation out.

Just emoting here, not passing judgement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.