Hummer Feeding Frenzy

Discussion in 'Birds' started by MGlennn, Sep 14, 2005.

1. I must be on the southern flightpath for all the northern hummers that are migrating to warmer climates....in the last few days my normal population has quadrupled....there are 8-10 hummers at a time trying to drink....an opportunity for me to try out new lens just purchased from Wade (Commodorefirst)...300 f4 AFS..... :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wish me luck....I am running out of sugar :rolleyes:

2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Mike! Try to tell them to head a little more to the west as they head on south so I get a few more in my yard. We are finally seeing a couple each day, but nothing like you have.

3. Wow, that is a frenzy. They are preparing for a long flight.

4. I might be able to box 'em up and ship 'em UPS... :cool: ..they don't care one bit how close I come at this point..!!

Thanks for the nice comments :smile:

5. Thanks Gordon..!!...I just hope they stay a few more days..

Hey.. :rolleyes: ..I think I may sell tickets for next year...get $$$ for LLD :biggrin: :biggrin:

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow Mike, you did have a swarm. Patrick and a friend at work are reporting the same thing. I've seen quite a few at my feeders, but I don't watch close enough to know whether I've got as many as you do.

Good shots too BTW. :smile:

7. Great pictures.

8. 300 f4 afs huh, nice lens works well a 1.4 tc also.

I didn't find it all that great for autofocus on hummers though, might be my camera though since sometimes it fails to find focus and just gives up after one try.

Make your self one of these and pick a nice flower out of the garden and place it on the end, position it so you have a nice background and prefocus on the center of the flower, you should get some awesome shots.
    [​IMG]

They get into such a frenzy when they start getting a group like that, I think it increases there food consumption and becomes a circle of eating and fighting.

I like the male one the best.

Martin

9. Thanks for commenting...you need to get out there and shoot a few..!!
    :smile: :smile:

10. Thanks Gilles...
    :biggrin:

11. Yep....that feeding deal you invented is just too cool..
    :eek: ... lasts longer too I'll bet...

The only way I got the lens to focus REALLY quickly was to set it on limit focus range then pre-focus on where I thought they would be....since there are so many of them now it is sort of hard to missss.......makes me appreciate more how good yours are..!! :smile:

I like the male one the best too...!!