1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Hummer in the natural

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Okay, D500, 300mm f4 lens, SS 1/1000, ISO 200, Stop 6.3, WB cloudy
    the lighting was in and out in clouds - I hate shooting during the middle of the day but hey, I took what I could get. What I'm after are camera setting changes if any are needed. I'm planning to head out again tomorrow - the place was literally "humming" with hummers. And oh yeah, they're a challenge! Any tips for improvement will be welcome! And thanks.

upload_2018-9-14_19-10-0.
    NIKON D500    ---    300mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    ISO 200

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. If you up your iso some, and go to f/4, you'll speed up that shutter some. It must be nice to have willing subjects out humming! It looks like you have a decent bg to work with. Have fun!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  3. Beautiful Dianne. Well done.(y)

4. thanks guys. Depending on the weather and my health I'll head out again in the morning. It was fun watching the little birds chase each other from the feeders and then they'd check me out before heading to the flowers. I'm hoping the skies will be overcast.

5. gorec

gorec

May 15, 2014
    UAE
    I think 1/1000 was an excellent choice to give that wings some blur !!awesome,!!best wishes to you!!(y)(y)

6. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Very nice Dianne. I agree with gorec re the wing blur.

(Sorry that you may be having some health issues - hope all goes well).

7. Nicely done Dianne. Always love to see hummers

8. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    Nicely done. Depending on what you're going for you've got plenty of room to increase ss. Other than that it looks great.

9. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I think it is nice to vary your images. Some at 1/1000 for blurred wings and some with a much faster SS to show wing details. I often use a shutter speed of 1/2000 or 1/2500 @ f5 - f7.1. I shoot manual and let Auto ISO take care of the ISO.

Check out this gallery. If you click on an image, then look in the lower right hand corner, you can click on the "i" for information. It will tell you all the exposure settings for that image.

10. thanks ya'll. I went back out today BUT had a horrifying time of it. First I was with a group - a nice group, but then there was the water moccasin - our leader got between me and it. I was thankful for his bravery. I've decided no more hikes like that until I have proper boots. that pretty much destroyed my interest in photography for the day.

11. gorec

gorec

May 15, 2014
    UAE
    Thank God for your safety !!,he sent you a brave man to protect you !!,hikes need special boots for an obvious reason !!.yes,i agree with you and you shouldn't be hiking till then .

12. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    great pics and that is a very cool tool

13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Randy. Once you have that Information window open....you can click the right arrow to advance to the next image and the capture information will update for the next image also.

14. sweet shot...................

15. thanks ya'll! I have a pair of snake-proof boots on my wish list. So, depending on what comes first, the boots or cold weather, I ain't gettin back out there until then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.