Hummer pic

An unusual perspective from tonight's shoot.

48179326.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

hillrg said:
Oh my! This is exquisite. What are you going to do for an encore Frank? Did you take this one with your 80-200?

Thanks, Rory. I keep telling myself I have enough hummer pics, and to let them feed in peace. But they're so appealing that I can't resist.

Yes, the 80-200.

Hey Frank, if you have too many, you can give me a few. :biggrin:

Excellent. :wink:

I luv how the colors on the throat match the bokeh background. Does that make sense?

And I do not have many other birds to shoot so I take tons of hummer pics. My wife has 10 feeders up and we can get anywhere from 40-60 (no lie) hummers at once. It is almost too many to focus on. My recent goal is to get 2 or 3 in the slight hummer aggression in flight. Tough, and I have not accomplished this goal. And I also like to get them in the trees when the land - but they do not stay still for very long at all. None-the-less they are fun to take pics off them.

PhotoByMark said:
I luv how the colors on the throat match the bokeh background. Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me, and I appreciate you noticing it! I chose a perspective that placed the blooming oleander behind the hummer because they match so well :cool:.

Hey, I checked out the hummer pics on your site. It's a terrific slideshow!!!

Are you using a single strobe on-camera? What lens.

Good stuff :biggrin:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Ben, Mike, Gordon, and Harry!

Jeff, for this shot, I had the sb800 mounted on-camera, in GN mode, and a light activated flash about 30 degrees off to the side.

G

Gordon Large

Frank -

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. It is exquisite. The capture of the hummer is great, but the composition and the combination of the colors of the hummer and the soft background put this one over the top. Keep shooting hummers for us, but you'll have a tough time ever surpassing this one.

Gordon

drueter said:
Beautiful shot, Frank! I agree with the others - don't quit taking hummer shots! You can never have too many.

I'm not sure you'll feel that way if you had to wade through every picture in my hummingbird gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/unclefrank/hummer_kingdom :Unsure:

The sheer volume is intiimidating to visitors. I think I need to start paring down some of my galleries to the best 25 shots. I keep delaying because I'm attached to many of the pictures for reasons other than technicals.

Latest threads

Top Bottom