1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hummer Pics

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jonh68, Oct 4, 2008.

1. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    These were from my mom's back yard taken with a D700, D300 and Siggy 120-300 with 2X and 1.4X converters, handheld and available light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. These are excellent hummer shots and I'm even impressed to know that
    you took these shots hand-held using the heavy Sigma 120-300.

3. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Awsome!

4. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Great shots, especially for hand-held. I have to use a tripod all the time as I can not hold any of my cameras with a long lens.

5. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    Thanks!

The trick using handheld is to rest in between visits. I had been using a monopod before, but I would miss so many shots because I couldn't maneuver as good when the birds fly all around the plants. I have the camera in my lap, etc to rest. When I heard the chirping and wing beats, I would slowly raise the camera.

6. Outstanding hummer shots. Nicely done.

7. Nice shots, John. What iso were you shooting at?

8. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    Thanks!

Well, I lied to you guys. The shots I selected were with the D300 and the ISO was 400. I did use the D700, but none of these were with the camera.

9. Heck, you even got the dictitating membrane closing on the 4th shot! That's gotta close faster than a wing beat! lol :wink:
    Beautiful shots.

10. Very nice images. My vote goes for No. 4.

11. kbhdiaz888

kbhdiaz888 Guest

Awesome shots!

12. BIGBEAR

BIGBEAR

Nov 16, 2007
    Forney, Texas
    Those are great shots!!! Love the flowers what are they?? I agree with #4. WOW!!

13. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Excellent!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.