Hummer profile—up close

Discussion in 'Birds' started by K-loader, Jul 31, 2005.

1. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    Used a tripod and wireless remote release to catch this little one up close.

D100 70-200VR w/500D close-up lens
    1/80s f/18.0 at 160mm with Flash

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Holy Moly Dan, this is phenomenal. I've got the 70-200VR and the 500D, and I know how hard it is to get that combo focused on a stationary subject. I can't imagine how fast you must be to get a hummer with it.

Welcome to the Cafe. Please stop by the Birds & Animals forum and / or the Macros forum and share some more of these with us.

3. Now thats a closeup, most excellent. I have had good luck with that combo, but no remote release. Welcome to the cafe!

4. Now that's up close and personal! Wonder what those little white balls are?? Cool shot.

5. Nice portrait Dan, three flashes? Just a guess from looking at the highlights in the eye.

Martin

6. Wow, what a shot!!! Never expected to see a pic like this, esp from that gear. You sure he wasn't stuffed and mounted!!?? *LOL* at only 1/80th, that's amazing clarity. You've raised the bar...

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Closest hummer shot I've ever seen !! :shock:

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic.
    Never seen one that close.

9. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks all for the warm welcome to the Café. I’ve been a fairly frequent visitor for 3 or 4 months…just don’t post much. Sure is a friendly place, and a great place to learn more about photography technique and equipment.

Kevin: I think the little white balls are bits of pollen

Kramp: Just a single SB80 flash, camera mounted with the diffuser. I’m not sure what gave me the triple catch-lights in the eye…

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Unbelievable capture, Dan. I can't even imagine how you nailed that shot so well. Absolutely awesome detail, color and sharpness!!!

11. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    WOW!! There's nothing else that can be said.

12. Great detail in the extreem closup. Well done.

13. Great shot Dan. I bet it wasn't easy with the 500D combo. I've got to try that one myself.
    Pete

14. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for the comments. I must have had some beginners luck the first time I chased hummers with the 500D mounted. I tried again yesterday and the only shot that didn’t end up in the recycle bin is the one below that looks more like an abstract painting than a photo. Man those guys are fast!

15. What I great shot! And I can't even get a decent shot of them in full figure with a 500mm! Boy am I envious!

What a way to enter the cafe, I will be looking forward to to see more of your shots!

16. WOW!!! That is amazing.