Discussion in 'Birds' started by GeoKost, Jun 3, 2007.

1. A couple that I got today... also learning to photograph these boogers!!

Two different pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2007
  2. Very nice. Never seen one in these parts.
  3. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I can't see the first one but the second one is very good!
  4. Thanks Alex.

Thanks Andy, checked my pbase gallery, not sure why you can not see it.
  5. I see them both :cool:
    As I'm several thousand miles from the nearest wild hummingbird I'm always jealous of shots like these. I prefer the colour to the B&W - I always do for bird photos. I think the second might look better with a gentler crop, giving a little more space above and in front of the bird; this would get the eye nearer to the centre of the image and give a stronger composition.

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

What shutter speed are you using and are you also using flash.
  7. Thanks Alan, still working on my compostion to.
  8. Hello Sweetpea,

I had my D200 set on shutter priority @ 1/800th with a flash on the B&W, and 1/800th w/o flash on the color photo. I was using my Nikon 300f4. If I remember correctly, both of these were 50% crops.

Thanks for checking.
  9. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Can't see either:(
  10. genera

Oct 6, 2005
    Me too.
  11. I have them hosted through pbase. I do not know what is going on. Thanks for letting me know, I'll check into it. I can see them?
  12. AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    Very nice shots, I plan on setting up a feeder this weekend to attract the local hummers. Forgive my ignorance but what is a "B&W"? Also did you get these hand held or off a tripod.
  13. Hi George,

Nice shots.

your focus is dead on on the B&W. But why shoot a hummer in B&W? I'm not sure I get it.

Thanks for sharing

14. Tony,

Thanks for checking them out. This humming bird thing is new to me, but having fun with it. B&W=black and white.

These were off my tripod, with my MC30 remote trigger, about 10 feet away.
  15. Thanks for checking them out Lil. I was trying out a B&W PP technique, and, why not?
  16. Hi again....

You're right, why not B&W. Guess that since I feed about 30+ of them all the time I am just so used to seeing them in color. Never really entered my mind to shoot them B&W.

Just keep shooting them - they are so much fun & sometimes forget to shoot & just stand & stare at them in wonder. Such amazing little aerial acrobats. I just love them.

Thanks for sharing & keep up the good work.

17. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    17 & 21 are wall hangers. Nice images. Went to Pbase, still can't see them here.
  18. Thanks for checking them out Jeff, I don't know what is going on. I had my daughter check from her computer and she showed x's also.

I'll figure it out somehow.