Humming Bird in a tree

I watched this little guy go from the feeder to a palm tree, back to the feeder then to this tree. I think this is an Allen Humming Bird but I'm not at all certain.

144024806.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D700, 70-200mm f2.8 (VR I) + 1.7 TCE II.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hummingbird that will sit on my gutter right over the feeder, wait for another hummingbird to try to feed and then attack. I guess they are very territorial. He does the same thing. Feed for a minute and then sit back and watch for a minute.

I have a hummingbird that will sit on my gutter right over the feeder, wait for another hummingbird to try to feed and then attack. I guess they are very territorial. He does the same thing. Feed for a minute and then sit back and watch for a minute.

This guy will perch on a spider plant or on a single leaf of our plumeria tree and wait for another one to come and try to feed, then attack. And he's smaller than most of the others. I've only seen him allow other hummers to eat once or twice. When larger birds like sparrows or orioles come to drink he leaves them alone. Fun to watch even without the camera.

They say if one protects a feeder, to let him have it. Put other feeders out for the other birds. He can't protect them all. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom