Hummingbird clearwing moth

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Bob Coutant, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Hummingbird moth
    I was sitting in my yard watching some workmen on my roof when a pair of these buzzed up to the wild phlox at the edge of the yard. I ran to the house; retrieved my camera; and got these shots plus several others. [handheld, 70-300 mm lens @ ~250 mm, 1/320 s, f/5.6, auto ISO, and close to minimum focus distance]

DSC_0706sm.
    DSC_0707sm.

2. Hi Bob,

That is a great photo of a really strange critter.

I remember seeing one once and trying to figure out what it was. For those that have never seen one, it looks and acts like a small hummingbird, but maybe half to 2/3's the size of one. I never knew what it was called, but just assumed that it was some sort of insect, it is good to get the real ID.

Bob (another Bob in Ohio)

3. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Bob.
    They are so small that most people either don't notice them or think that they are "baby hummingbirds". From a distance, they look and act like hummingbirds -- I've seen them "sharing the same flowers" with hummers. [They also dart from one flower to the next like a hummer, so you have to be quick on the draw.]

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob,

Good captures. I like the second the best.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like the second the best also. Guess more color...

6. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Frank and Gale.
    I liked the first for composition and documentation of body parts and shape. The second has better detail on the wings and back of the body. Both images are currently ones in a temporary folder -- I'll try to get better processed versions up today. DONE