Hummingbird feeder question

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    In an attempt to get some of these cute little guys, I just bought a couple of feeders. I know that this has probably been posted before, but I couldn't find it.

What is the correct mix of sugar and water that I should use to attract these little beauties? What is the process for making the mix? Do I need to boil it or anything? Should I add food coloring?

Help!!

Thanks,

2. Hi Frank

According to my wife:

Boil one part white sugar to four parts water for five minutes. Cool and refrigerate the mixture. It will turn to alcohol if exposed to the sun.
    Fill one-third of the container and change the mixture twice a week.
    When changing the mixture, clean the feeder with soap and water to remove bacteria.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Don't do what I did!

I put a batch on the stove, turned it on HIGH, then went in the living room to reply to a couple emails. Before I knew it, the whole house was filled with thick acrid smoke! All the water had boiled away, and the sugar was burning furiously! What a terrible mess!

btw, it's 4 parts water to 1 part sugar, no coloring.

4. You can start with one (1) part sugar and three(3) parts water...then your hummers will go tell the others that you have the sweetest food !!...cut back to 1:4 when you have them all ...!!! 8)

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks!! I can't wait to get a shot at some of these little cuties. 8)

6. Canyonlu

Canyonlu Guest

Boiling not a requirement for hummer nectar

The new belief is that you do NOT have to boil the water. I quit boiling about a year ago, and have had no problems. Do NOT put red food coloring into your nectar. The birds will be attracted to the red on the feeder. Be certain to change the water every 3-4 days in warm weather.

Feed them, wait a week or so because it takes a while for the birds to find your feeder, and they will come!

My backyard hummer gallery:
    http://www.pbase.com/canyonlu/hummers

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Marilu. That sounds almost too easy. 8)

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for these little beauties to show up. :roll:

8. I have my fingers crossed for you Frank...............having some flowers as well (red) will help attract them. ( if you google, will tell you the top 3-4 flowers to have out, it does make a difference ;-)

look forward to seeing your shots, no pressure. LOL...............have fun!

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Keith (and everyone). Did you all see Steve Shive's hummer shot using his 500 f4 + 1.7 TC? Amazing!! I hope I can get something half as good. 8)