Hummingbird feeder technique.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by kramp, Jun 11, 2005.

1. I tryed something new with the Hummingbirds, I don't really like when the feeder shows up in the picture, I can clone it out but then you have the Hummingbird floating in air with no real reason to be there, also it would be nice to have more color in the picture.

What I wanted is to have some flowers in the picture, but when there darting around at the hanging baskets there very hard to capture, I could attach a flower to my feeder but the spout is too big, so here is solution.

I made a feeder out of a water bottle and some aquarium air tube, the tube is small enough to slip flowers over the end, seems to work well and the hummers took to it right away.

I had to tywrap something bendable to the spout so I could bend it to different positions thats why its taped I didn't want any sharp edges showing, I will get some colored tape and tape it up better later.

Here are some pictures of it in action and a picture of the feeder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used the 300 f4 af-s with the kenko 1.4 tc, all with manual focus.

Martin

2. Hi Martin

going to have start calling you McGiver :lol: Very cool, cheap to do, makes a whole lot of sense. Is that a real flower on the end or silk? I think Im getting close to doing a trip, starting to have withdrawals!! Wonder if the males have lost their plumage yet?

BTW luv the pics and heavy saturation and DOF, looks awesome

Keith

3. Very neat! How you stop all the water draining out of the tube?

4. Re: Hi Martin

Thanks Keith, that's are real flower, its a bit ragged since was on over night in the rain.

Just say the work Keith and I will meet you at the secret Hummingbird shooting spot, after next week I will be on hollidays!

I don't think the males lose there plumage they just start migrating south through the mountains.at the end of June.

Martin

5. Hi Rory, a little bit comes out then vacumm holds it in, you just have to play with the length of tube and angle of the bottle other wise nothing comes out.

Martin

6. Thanks Martin - I'm going to give it a try!

7. Just drill the hole in the cap a little smaller than the tube and it seems to seal itself, if the hole is smooth, I didn't have to put any sealer on there and no leaks, I was supprised.

Martin

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    You are a genius! Wow...that's just amazing...Keith is right...you really are a MaGyver! Nice pics of the birds as well.

9. Neat idea, Martin...I might just try it...although hummingbirds are hard to come by in this area. Great shots too!

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great idea Martin, and I do like the flowers better than a plastic feeder tube. Very nicely done.

11. Unbelievable !! Martin....you are just too clever !! I think you are looking at a patent possibility there....!! :wink: Too Cool !!! Mike