Hummingbird, female Rufous.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by kramp, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Tried out the Hummingbirds tonight, there getting pretty ragged from all the scrapping, I saw a couple spiral fifty feet into the air going at it like a couple of roosters, its not unual to see parts of the other bird in the claws, mostly feathers but sometimes it looks like some skin attached.

Tring to get more depth to the pictures how does this work and how do you like the background.
    [​IMG]

Martin

2. Beautiful Shot. Love the colors.

3. GreenCoal

GreenCoal Guest

Golly -- it's so beautifully shot !! How did you do it, Kramp?

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful Martin. The colors on the bird are great, and I like the background just fine.

Wish I had some of these guys to shoot at. Guess I need to put up some feeders, huh?

5. really nice...!!

like the background except MAYBE upper right corner...

6. Beautifully and tastefully done as ALWAYS!!!!!!
    See your still keeping busy! Great shot

Keith

7. Thanks James, with not many males around I have get the color in there with the flowers.

Martin

8. Wow Martin, what a great image, focus on that eye and tack sharp. Very very nice. Thanx for sharing.

9. Hi Josh, its simple, I do a feeder background setup then a lighting setup a bit of testing and then I just sit in the chair for a couple of hours and wait for them to come in and feed, and if I am really lucky I will get a picture that I like.

Thanks!

Martin

10. Yes a feeder would help. ;o)

Try walking around your yard with a red hat on and if you here something zipping around you that means you have Hummingbirds.

Thanks for the comment

Martin

11. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Nice shot Kramp,

I have never tried this but afte seeing yours I am guessing I should just leave it to the experts. :wink:

Colors are great and I really like the back ground.

Thanks for sharing.

12. Good eye Mike, I was wondering about that spot, it does seem to draw to itself.

Thanks!

Martin

13. Thanks Keith, its nice when it all starts to come together.

I am going out a couple of times a days taking pictures, just in the yard and over at the pond I have been getting some nice insect pictures and getting some jobs done around the house that the pressure is on to complete.

Martin

14. Thanks Yanni, glad you liked it.

Martin

15. Thanks for the feed back Tim, give it a try, its lots of fun.

Martin

16. Good going Martin.
    Pete

17. Can you give us all the gory technical details Martin - I really like the splayed tail!

18. Thanks Pete.

Martin

19. Background is a planter sitting on a step ladder, I used that homemade feeder with a flower blossom attached with an elastic band.

Five flashes all triggered by the pop up flash, flashes were set at 1/16 except the one for the background it was set higher.

Equipment Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Camera Model: NIKON D70
    Camera Software: Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
    Maximum Lens Aperture: f/5.7
    Sensing Method: One-Chip Color Area
    Color Filter Array Pattern: 634

Image-Specific Properties:

Image Orientation: Top, Left-Hand
    Horizontal Resolution: 300 dpi
    Vertical Resolution: 300 dpi
    Image Created: 2005:06:20 22:06:00
    Exposure Time: 1/500 sec
    F-Number: f/13.0
    Exposure Program: Manual
    Exposure Bias: 1 EV
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Light Source: Unknown
    Flash: Flash, Auto, Return Not Detected
    Focal Length: 300.00 mm
    Color Space Information: sRGB
    Image Width: 2400
    Image Height: 3000

Is that the technical info you were looking for?

Any time you want to come up and try my setup let me know not many mature males around but there still are imatures and females.

Martin

20. Thanks Martin. The results show it was well worth the effort. Glad to know that you can shoot at 1/500 with multiple flashes - I gather they are all SB800's.

Next time I am passing through I'll look you up if that is okay. Not sure when though - I don't head north to often ;^)