1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hummingbird Hawk-moth (Macroglossum stellatarum) in action

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Pendragon, Aug 7, 2008.

1. These are difficult insects to photograph. They feed on flowers at an enormous speed and they hover all the time. In my language we also call them " Unrest".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Very good!

The German common name would mean "dove-tail".

Cheers

3. iamzrad

iamzrad

Jul 4, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Very nice.
    I have shot some hummingbird moths, and yes, they are very difficult to capture. They only feed for a couple of seconds, then they are gone.

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Amazing sharpnes on the eys in #2 and nice bokeh on both. Must have been difficult to catch.

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Very nice Jan. We have the clearwing hummingbird moth (Hemaris thysbe) here, but I don't think we have this species.

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    these are nice efforts here. I was just reading about these the other day somewhere.

7. Great catches, Jan. These are indeed very difficult to get, as they flit around much more than hummingbirds.

8. Well, I'll tell you my strategy. These pics were made in my holliday home in Southern France. I noticed that this butterfly returned to the same group of flowers about 2 times every hour. So I sat on a strategic position and waited for about 40 minutes. Then the moth returned and I started shooting.

It is a European species. Very common in the Mediterranean area. But when we have hot summers they also travel north. I sometimes see them in my garden in Belgium.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.