Hummingbird Moth and some other cool flowers

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by dbirdsong, Sep 6, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I took these today... D70, Sigma 80-200 HSM EX with a Sigma 2x TC and a SB800

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were watering the flowers while I was shooting and that made for some pretty cool shots too like these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You're right Dave, these are cool flowers. Cools shots too. I love the hummingbird moths, and I like the way that you've captured the streaks of water.

Very nice. :wink:

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Frank

4. Dave,

I have to echo Frank's sentiments, I like the hummingbird moths, but I especially like the way you captured the flowers as they were being watered. The lighting is really nice and I can also hear the water droplets... :biggrin:

5. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    nice shots ... the moth is much better then mine.. they are hard to get.. they won;t hold still... took about 25 shots of one the other day.. got maybe 2 that are close to as good as your..but will keep trying...

Tim

6. Nice set of images - I especially like the last one. I assume its a sprinkler system to produce sideways streaks.

Nice use of flash - I always burn things out. More practice required me thinks.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Crystal.. That was a lot of fun photographing them

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I tried last week when I was there and didn't get a good one at all.
    This time I took about 50 to get 2 or 3 good ones. It was pretty hard at 600mm to follow them, get it in focus and take the shot before the flew on the next flower.
    So do I what I did.. Just click away and hope for the best :smile:

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Yeap that was it, that and a shutter speed of 1/160 or so
    Thanks for your kind words

10. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Those are nice Dave. I especially like the fourth one -- great combination of colors "singin in the rain" [It made me think of Gene Kelly.]