Hummingbird Moth

I made this shot this morning, I honestly have never seen one before, a friend messaged me with the information so I thought I'd give it a try. I made the capture with a D300 using a 300mm f/2.8 lens with a 1.4x TC on a tripod and panning head. I hope you like what you see, please leave some suggestions if you can help me improve on my next outing. This critter was very difficult to track, they don't stay in one place for too long.

151489168.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Outstanding! They are quick little guys.

I made this shot this morning, I honestly have never seen one before, a friend messaged me with the information so I thought I'd give it a try. I made the capture with a D300 using a 300mm f/2.8 lens with a 1.4x TC on a tripod and panning head. I hope you like what you see, please leave some suggestions if you can help me improve on my next outing. This critter was very difficult to track, they don't stay in one place for too long.

Beautiful colors and background, and a nice catch, Frank.

I don't think they are ever still, and that makes them a challenge. [When a hummingbird hovers, its body can be relatively still, but these guys "wiggle" a lot.] I prefer not using a TC on them in order to maximize the combination of shutter speed and DOF at any given aperture. I've tried flash with mixed results. My best results have come when I remember to bring my lucky rabbit's foot.:biggrin:

Beautiful colors and background, and a nice catch, Frank.

I don't think they are ever still, and that makes them a challenge. [When a hummingbird hovers, its body can be relatively still, but these guys "wiggle" a lot.] I prefer not using a TC on them in order to maximize the combination of shutter speed and DOF at any given aperture. I've tried flash with mixed results. My best results have come when I remember to bring my lucky rabbit's foot.:biggrin:

Bob, you are correct, I made this shot of a Hummingbird this morning as well, the bird does hover briefly offering some time to make a shot.

151489165.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beautiful capture of a hard-to-get subject. I can take a lot of shots and maybe get a decent one. I really like the side view of this one. By the way, I believe this is a bee balm flower which both the hummingbirds and hummingbird moths love.

Hi Frank,
it's a wonderful shot.

Have you seen the European counterpart I've photographed some weeks ago?
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=361744
It's not that colorful ...

Klaus

Excellent photography Klaus, I assume that you used the 105mm lens? I have a 60mm macro, I'll give that a try today. Thanks for sharing your image.

Beautiful capture of a hard-to-get subject. I can take a lot of shots and maybe get a decent one. I really like the side view of this one. By the way, I believe this is a bee balm flower which both the hummingbirds and hummingbird moths love.

Thank you Donna, photographing these guys was very challenging, but the only way to for me to improve is by shooting as often as I can. Thanks for identifying the flower, I had no idea what variety it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great capture Frank and thanks for posting. I've seen them when I've been out shooting butterflies, but never knew what they were.

this is beautifully done-congratulations. got the probiscus out and curly too, thats such a great element in this.

Great job.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom