Hummingbird/Moth

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Brew, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Brew

Brew Guest

My Father in-law and I were sitting in back having a beer when this thing came flying by. I ran in a grabbed my camera and started snapping away. He thought it was a humming bird and I thought it was Moth. Turns out we both were right!!

Not the best pictures sorry but wasn’t really ready.

2. You may not have been prepared but the shots are great

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Great shots! Just the other day I was talking with Uncle Frank about Hummingbird Moths!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Job well done. Shows many parts of the HBM,, Love those wings.

5. Can I just make a slight adjustment to your ID. It Is a Bee Hawk Moth or as some of you call them in the USA a Clearwing Moth. This one is Hemaris thysbe, or H. gracilis. Is The Town of Brookfield in Wisconsin? If so it could be either.

Well done with the pictures.

Best wishes. Bob F

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  6. OK now i have found out where you live I can say with reasonable certainty that it is Hemaris gracilis. This I believe is called the Slender Clearwing in the USA. Funnily enough you call H. thysbe the Hummingbird Clearwing. All very confusing to a Englishman!!

BW. Bob F.

7. Brew

Brew Guest

Indeed I am in Wisconsin and it does look like the clearwing Moth when I did a yahoo search. Kind of a cool insect and as it flew past my ear it did sound like a Humming bird.

Thanks for the ID :smile:

8. These are terrific Bruce. I especially like the third one.

9. Anytime you get flying insects the images are good. Way to go. I have never seen one of these guys. My favorite is #3.

10. Brew

Brew Guest

Thanks everyone, I just wish #3 was a bit more in foucus but he was quick :frown:

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    All are keepers, Bruce. The species of moth is quite interesting. Nicely done.

12. What a strange creature, nicely captured!

Martin