Hummingbird/Moth

B

Brew

My Father in-law and I were sitting in back having a beer when this thing came flying by. I ran in a grabbed my camera and started snapping away. He thought it was a humming bird and I thought it was Moth. Turns out we both were right!!

Not the best pictures sorry but wasn’t really ready.

48424123.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

48424109.jpg

48424061.jpg

48424037.jpg

K

Ken-L

Great shots! Just the other day I was talking with Uncle Frank about Hummingbird Moths!

Can I just make a slight adjustment to your ID. It Is a Bee Hawk Moth or as some of you call them in the USA a Clearwing Moth. This one is Hemaris thysbe, or H. gracilis. Is The Town of Brookfield in Wisconsin? If so it could be either.

Well done with the pictures.

Best wishes. Bob F

Last edited by a moderator:
OK now i have found out where you live I can say with reasonable certainty that it is Hemaris gracilis. This I believe is called the Slender Clearwing in the USA. Funnily enough you call H. thysbe the Hummingbird Clearwing. All very confusing to a Englishman!!

BW. Bob F.

B

Brew

Indeed I am in Wisconsin and it does look like the clearwing Moth when I did a yahoo search. Kind of a cool insect and as it flew past my ear it did sound like a Humming bird.

Thanks for the ID :smile:

F

FlyingFlowers

These are terrific Bruce. I especially like the third one.

B

Brew

Thanks everyone, I just wish #3 was a bit more in foucus but he was quick :frown:

Latest threads

Top Bottom