1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

*Hummingbird Paradise*

Discussion in 'Birds' started by coffee, Aug 28, 2008.

1. I just got back from my trip to Arizona mountain to photograph
    hummers. This trip though it's not perfect,turned out to be a success.
    I stayed at two different locations and at the first location,Ash Canyon
    B&B,I mostly did flash shots using multiple flashes. This is what I've
    been doing for quite a while and my prepartion for this trip seemed to
    pay off.

At Beatty's Guest Ranch, the thing even got better. At CAS(control access site)
    I was amazed by the number of hummers,just so many! I thought "is it a hummingbird convention or something?" But soon,I realized that photographying those hummers would not be easy. They are just too fast and busy. Flying from feeder to feeder,from tree to tree... but if you just want to get some hummer shots at one of the many feeders there,then it will be no problem. I just picked 3-4 pearching trees where some of exotic hummers would like pearch on and waited. I spent 4 hrs in the morning and 3 hrs in the late afternoon every day. At Beatty's, I decided to photograph hummers pearching on a tree in a natural setting using available light though I sometimes had to use a flash.

One thing I wanted to do was to phorograph hummers feeding on flowers but I couldn't do it well. Almost all of them just came to the feeders and only a few showed up around the flowers.

And my D300/300 f/4 AFS+ TC 1.4 combo didn't disappoint. The only problem I had with it was that as the sun went down,it started to hunt to focus a bit longer.

I'm going through all the files now and I will post some more when they're ready.

I definitely want to go back there again.

PS: There were two Canon photographers who were using a huge lens( probably
    500-600mm) but they didn't seem to get many shots. Also I met a guy from the east coast who was using a D40. He was a very nice guy and he/his wife were with their bird guide and they asked me about my camera and the lens. He was using a 200mm lens and I guess he will get a 300mm lens in the future.

C&Q are welcome.

Hide

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.