1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hummingbird showed up

Discussion in 'Birds' started by rick_reno, Jul 9, 2018.

1. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    AC835C14-C926-497F-8DFC-2FC161B84DC9.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fabulous capture Rick. Details of the shot?

3. Nice one Rick. Those critters will test your skills.

4. Great detail! Something that is not an easy thing to do. Well done.

5. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Magnificent. I know better than to even try. We had some transients back in April. September and October are our big times of the year.

6. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Thanks! Sorry, forgot to include that. Shot from my porch, this was with my D850 and 300mm f/2.8 lens, on a tripod, iso 500, f/2.8, 1/5000 sec, AFC, group.

7. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I just discovered the post “how to setup for hummingbirds”. Using multiple flashes seems like a great idea, Keith got some beautiful images with his setup. I only have one flash and have no idea how to use it, it’s a complicated thing with a very poorly written manual. I described myself trying to use it once as “looking like Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller trying to get the files out of the Mac in Zoolander”, I was madly pushing buttons and changing camera settings with no apparent impact on the flash working.
    I’m going to have to do more reading on this humming bird thing.

8. Rick you really did a great job in catching this. I really like the wing position. Now if it were next to a colorful flower it would be hard to beat.

9. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
  10. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Thanks for the tip Karen, I think I'll keep doing it minus the flash.

11. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    About half of those images were taken with the D850. Check out the ISO's! LOL! It was generally heavy overcast.....light drizzle!!! A shutter speed of 1/3200 was fine.

12. Excellent capture Rick(y).

13. hey a very nice shot and catch...............

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.