Hummingbirds of Peru

A few images of the many, many hummers we saw. Had a hard time this trip with birds...they were mostly in bad lighting, tops of the trees, dense vegetation...in other words, they were thwarting me at every turn! The hummers are the most cooperative. Note that these are all in the wild...no feeders around, except for one noted below.

All with D100, 80-400VR, some with SB80DX flash

This hummingbird is as large as a swallow--aptly named the Giant Hummingbird.
gihu_8322b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a female Booted Raquet-tail; the mail has spectacularly long tail feathers but he wouldn't pose :-(
bort_7960b.jpg

This Black-tailed Trainbearer was in the garden of our hotel at Ollantaytambo (but no feeders.)
bttr_8349a.jpg

The Chestnut-breasted Coronet was very common in the gardens of the Machu Picchu Pueblo hotel, where there were feeders.

cbco_8663b.jpg

In-flight shots were difficult with the slow-flash synch of the D100, but I managed a couple. I had planned to use my husband's D70 for some hummer shots but there just wasn't time for switching cameras.

spve_8296a.jpg

tyme2_8423b.jpg

And finally, this last shot, although too far away and highly cropped, is to show you one of the more amazing varieties of hummingbirds--the Swordbilled Hummingbird. Again very aptly named!

swhu_8455a.jpg

Hope you enjoy. A few other bird shots to come, but not as many as I'd hoped...it was tough conditions, as noted, and we didn't have the time I would have liked to really "focus" on photography. Next time, hopefully, I'll do a slower paced trip with more time in one spot to concentrate on shooting. However, we did see 223 species of birds in 9 days!

Peru is amazing and I am already plotting to return asap.

G

Gordon Large

WOW! Janet, I'm at a loss for words. Beautiful images of beautiful birds is the best I can do. Congratulations!!!

Gordon

Janet,

I definitely enjoyed these. You did a wonderful job of documenting your trip. Even if you were a little rushed, you brought back the goods. I'm more than a little envious. :wink:

Those are definitely not native to Peru,

Peru, Indiana that is! :wink: Wow, Janet, these are freaking spectaclular images! Well done, lady! Thanx for showing us what lives in other parts of the world.

Hi Janet,

Welcome Home!!

Those are spectacular hummingbird shots.

I note that at least one of those was shot at Machu Pichu. How can the hummers fly in the thin air at that altitude? One would think they have a hard enough time at low altitudes!

We will be watching for more photos.
Bob & Nan

The varieties are amazing. Long tails, long beaks, colors.

Good work.

Did not look at all easy.

I am glad you are back safe and sound Janet. I have been looking forward to your hummer shots from your vacation and you did not disappoint. Excellent images, so clear and with great color.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments! Unfortunately it may be awhile before I get to post any more photos, because last night (while working on the Peru shots), my PC died! Long story which I may detail in the General forum, in case anyone has any supporting words :-(

thankfully all my photos are backed up on both an external drive and on CDs/DVDs....

Latest threads

Top Bottom