Hummingbirds with Canon 500d

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Keith, May 23, 2005.

1. Well this was a challenge, got to get within the 22-24inches, manual focus on these little guys if you can get them in the frame to focus. LOL.......Was shot with 1 speedlight only on camera, handheld.........

original.

original.

original.

2. Keith, pictures 1 and 2 are so beautiful.

3. These are spectacular! I think I like the 2nd one the best.

4. Thanks Gilles and Kevin, was allot of fun to shoot. Trying to figure out a good lighting situation when shooting the 500d, tough when you have to be so close..........

5. Brew

Brew Guest

Those are unreal!!!! :shock:

6. Klaus L.

Klaus L. Guest

wow ... all of them are outstanding! :shock:
    i like the 3rd one best!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    kEITH,

I know you are afraid of Big Fuzzy Teddy Bears.

So tell me.. Did you dress as a rose bush to get this close to hmmers !!!! :>)))))

Whats to say except...

SPECTACULAR

8. Those are something else Keith, way to go, I can even see the eye lashes.

Getting with in two feet is pretty good, my hummers if I move when there at the feeder when I am five feet away they are out of there.

Martin

9. I'm speechless!!! The first time that I see birds posted in the macro forum. Excellent, the experiment worked.

10. Stunning work! Take a bow, Keith!

11. Keith, how did you ever get that close to the hummers? That, in itself, is a feat. Your photographs are just extraordinary!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

12. Some of the best hummers I have seen. Great job..

13. Keith,

I was going to reply your outstanding "Birds" post, but these are even better!!

I can't figure how you got so close unless you had a blind of some sort, but even then I don't see how! We sometimes see hummers on some flowers in our side yard maybe 25 feet from the house, but if I go out the back door, they scatter right away.

Bob

14. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great shots, Keith! Nice to get that close!

15. Keith,

All I can say is wow! I can't wait to test my 500D! I felt so silly because I didn't realize that you can get that close to your subject. Your images leave me speechless!

16. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Certainly the best I have seen for hummers. Simply marvelous photographs!
    Jerry Snider

17. Keith,

What did you do? Coat yourself with honey? - No wonder that bear was so close. :) :) :) These are superb!!! Great work and thanks for sharing.

18. I have to say.........

Truth be told Harry, forgot I posted these in the Macro forum. :oops: But hey Im all for firsts! :lol:

I have to say, I'm over whelmed reading everyones comments :shock: , thank you everyone for such nice words and encouragement. Continues to make us strive harder. Obviously I got lucky first time out.........fingers crossed it holds..........