1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hummingbirds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Here in Western Washington we have had a very warm summer so far. On a 90 degree day I was staying close to home when I noticed we had some hummingbirds visiting some flowers my wife planted. Being hot and tired I was able to set up my D850 with my 600 lens and 1.4 tc in my garage and stay in the shade. These little buggers move fast and don't stay around long. This was fun and between sessions I could sit in a chair and have a cold beer. That was a fun way to spend an afternoon. These also were processed all in On1 Raw so let me know if I screwed up. Still getting comfortable with that program compared to Lightroom.

1. Coming in
    p2983019683-6.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. A little closer
    p2995672024-6.jpg

3. Other side
    p2995672022-6.jpg

4. Really close with some wing blur.
    p2995672021-6.jpg

I really appreciate all you great photographers that capture amazing hummingbird images and use flashes. Some day I will have to learn all that stuff. In the mean time I will settle for these. I do really love the detail that the D850 has. I have not used my D500 much since I have had the D850.

2. These are stellar Jim. They have great detail and the colors are great. Hard to pick a favorite but I lean towards #2.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Excellent work (and practice! LOL!)

Your SS is good. #2 and 3 are particularly nice. Do not fear higher ISO's. DxO Elite Prime NR can handle almost anything you throw at it.

FWIW......I don't use flash and actually prefer naturally lit shots like yours. Even with a very heavy cloud cover and some misty rain, I got this gallery of shots....with NO flash. You can click on the "i" for information in the lower right hand corner to see the settings I used.

4. Thanks Karen. I will take a look as I know you have some of the best humming bird images I have ever seen. I am still learning how the D850 handles images at higher ISO's. I have always used the Nik filter for noise but I did use the DXO once when I did a free trial.

5. Thanks Gordon.

6. I'm with Gordon--stellar!
    My hummers always seem to favor the dark side of a shady feeder.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  7. Excellent set, Jim. Overall I like no.2 best for bird position, BG, and the interesting touch of the pollen in the air. No.4 is awesome detail with a little less pleasing BG.

I'm still getting used to the D850 as well. Are you using a grip with the larger battery? Do you shoot in crop mode? One thing I'm not liking about it is that the mirror flap is SO loud. I thought Nikon had solved that issue after the D4. Largely for that reason if I don't need higher frame rate I still prefer shooting the D810 which I had planned to sell.

8. Fantastic series! I have been holding off on an 850 as my 810 serves me well, but it seems the 850's AF really is up to the task!

9. Absolutely beautiful series. I have wanted to photograph hummingbirds for several months but so far no opportunity.

10. great series Jim, I never get tired of Hummers!

11. Great and so close. I like 2 the best.

12. Super set Jim, looks like you are all dialed in with the new D850 and with On 1.

13. I know just what you mean. I got lucky on these.

14. Thanks Dan. I do shoot with the grip and a large battery. Yes the mirror slap noise is annoying and I guess I have kind of gotten used to it until I shoot with the D810 or D500. I will shoot crop mode when needed but mostly don't use it if I am at all close to the subject. It does keep file sizes smaller when in use. What I don't like about crop mode is when viewing my images I have to pay attention to file size to know how much I can crop. Love the camera but do wish it had a softer sound.

15. Thank you. What I like is the camera set up and AF is on par with my D500. It was always hard to go from the D500 to the D810 for action. Now if find I go to the D850 as my first choice however when in the Tetons in May I used the D810 for some landscapes as I had my 600 on the D850 and it paid off when a grizzly bear showed up. We are in a time when there are so many good options.

16. I know what you mean, I am glad the hummingbirds showed up when they did.

17. Thanks Andreas. Louie said you just picked up a 500 lens. Do you have the D850 yet?

18. Thanks Allan.

19. I don't know about that but I am getting closer.

20. super shots ...................

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.