Hummmers...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by kramp, May 20, 2005.

1. This is the first day so far that there are enough hummer activity to make it worth while trying to get some pictures, they arrived in March but they just were not hanging around, but lots of activity today, here are a couple, hopefully more this week, but rain is going to be a problem.

I place sticks besides the feeders since they like to stay close to protect there food supply from other marauding hummers.

I know the background is black but there he is sitting six feet from me like I am not going to take the picture.

Yard Boss.
    [​IMG]

Flying.
    [​IMG]

Different lens this year I have a 300f4 af-s now, it was just a quick setup since I just went out when the rain stopped for a bit.

Feel free to critique.

Martin

2. What's to critique, they are beautiful image. Do you use a two or three flash setup?

3. Thanks Gordon, I used four flashes, didn't really have time to fine tune the setup, but hopefully they should be around for the next five weeks.and I will get lots more.

Martin

4. Here is another one.

Watch me balance on this stick!

[​IMG]

Martin

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wonderful shots Martin. Are you hand-holding the cam in these?

6. Thanks Frank, I started off hand held then went to a tripod because I wanted to try out the new ball head.

Martin

7. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Patrick's going to be jealous when he sees these!!! Our hummers are just arriving and he hasn't had a chance yet to get out and shoot yet....guess I need to brew up some nectar and put the feeders out! Great shots you got there! Keep them coming!

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All I can say is...

BEAUTIFUL

9. Appreciate the input Martin. You have some nice shots here.

10. I can never get enough hummers!! So colorful!! :D :D

11. Thanks Leigh, Gale and Bryan, the male Rufous perches were I can see him when I sit at my computer hopefully I can get him to pose for me again soon.

Martin

12. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Beautiful shots, Martin! I don't get enough hummer activity around here any time during the year to justify setting up for photos.

13. Thanks Don, I don't get a lot of Hummingbirds but I try to encourage them as much as I can, I give them a nice place to bathe, four feeders spaced apart since the Rufous are very protective of there food sources this time of year and I plant Hummer freindly flowers to encourage them to hang around.

Martin

14. phranc

phranc

Apr 30, 2005
    Central Texas
    Again wow! Four flashes? Can you describe your set up please?

15. Basicly what I do and it changes from setup to setup since I do experimant is place a flash on camera one to the right 45 degrees and one to the left the same and one for the background, and sometimes a back light.

Background can be a flower pot, hanging basket, some foliage in the yard or something I painted.

I have a couple of light stands I mount flashes on and they are very convenient.

Martin