Hummmmmmmmmers...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chip, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    And a couple owls...

New baby Great horned owl.
    original.

Another business trip to San diego and I get more shooting done down here than home:smile:

I found it very challenging to figure out how to shoot these guys in the wild without multiple flashes and studio. As you will see many are over flashed and washed some of the colors out.:frown:

All shot with the Nikkor 300 2.8 and D2x. Some with Sb-800 and some not. Huntington Beach library.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

Plenty more here: http://www.pbase.com/chip_g/hummers

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    What a great set Chip. Very nicely done.

3. WildBill

WildBill

Mar 20, 2006
    Hammonton, New Jersey
    Bill
    Chip these are stellar!! Really like the Owl and #4 and #5 of the Hummers.
    Great job!!!

Bill

4. Beautiful set and very well presented

5. Chip, these are spectacular in every respect.

Louie

6. Chip!!

These are great! Wow, look at the claws on that baby owl!! Yikes!! Your hummers are amazing too. My butterfly-humming bird garden is on hold due to the weird weather. I hope it warms up soon.

7. What a cute baby! I just wanna cuddle that sweetie! ANd those hummers! Dunno what you complaining about - I'd love to have shots like those! Beautiful - all of them! Keep em comin!

8. Wow, nice shots there Chip. I like.

George.

9. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    WOW, now thats nice.

10. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Thanks for the comments folks. I always enjoy coming down to San Diego and finding something new to shoot. Watching these hummers was quite fun.

11. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beautiful !!

12. Chip, these are terrific. What an opening shot - that baby horned is adorable, especially with the backlighting on the feathers.

Your hummer shots are outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Chip.....simply stated, these are fantastic. Love the backlighting on the GHO and the images of the Hummers are remarkable. Whatever effort you put in to prepare for the Hummers was well worth every second of your time. Excellant!

14. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Chip all I can say how sweet are these,nice captures and thanks for sharing them with us.:smile:

15. Beautiful shots, so well done. How do you mount your SB800? The flash is done so well.

16. Those hummers are just gorgeous!! Beautifully detailed and great closes ups. I'm in awe, lol.

Thanks for sharing!

Laura

17. Super series Chip!!! I like the last three with th flowers - great color!

18. Glideslope

Glideslope

Feb 8, 2006
    NY
    Very nice work.

19. Blue

Blue Guest

Love the hummers shots, especially #1, I saved it to my hd, if you don't mind.

20. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Thanks folks for looking and the comments. Hopefully these guys will show up in Washington soon.

Thanks John, I just mounted it right in the hot shoe, although I saw a couple guys that were using a flash bracket mounted on the lens. That extra (fifth) flash battery on the SB-800 helped recycle the flash, although had I been thinking I should have brought the external battery pack I have.

Thanks. I dont mind at all Blue.