Humpback Whale Breach

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    There is nothing more exciting than seeing a Humpback whale breach. This one, a calf less than 6 months old, seemed to be learning how to play, and having a blast at the same time. To capture the image, you have to be fast, it's over in about 2 seconds! See, aim, focus, shoot! Boy, I could use a D2x......
    45763920.One_8713.

2. Great capture! Where was this taken?

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sweet capture.....

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, it was taken off the coast of MA, at a location called Jeffrey's Ledge. It's about 20 miles offshore, or about 25 miles NE of Cape Ann, MA. From a commercial whale watch boat. The calf did 2 breaches, this is the second one. No need to say I saw the first one, but couldn't get the camera up to my face fast enough. You never know where, when or if....makes getting the shot all the more fun and rewarding. Nikon D100 with 80-200 AFS for the gear heads.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is great Baywing :>))

Thank for sharing

6. Derek

Derek

May 1, 2005
    Ohio
    Very nice pic! Did you get any killer whale shots

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Exciting shot Bay. Sounds like a similar environment to the duck pond, where birds can come in from any direction, with no advanced warning, and again, you have 2 - 3 seconds to find, line up, lock on, and shoot. Heck, that's part of the thrill. :wink:

8. WO W

A W E S O M E shot, wheres the other 7 fps? :wink:

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, all. Frank, it's not really like a duck pond, you can see those buggers coming but these guys.....it's a big ocean and they can and do come popping out almost anywhere with no warning.
    Keith, not sure what you mean, the D100 doesn't do more than a few FPS, that's why I need a D2x.....I got 2 shots before he hit the water, my F5 would have done a half a roll.

10. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shot! That's a very tough shot to catch for all the reasons you've given! Congrats on a great capture!

11. Holly maquereau! That's an amazing shot, and I fully comprehend what that means given my comparatively weak effort (yet to be posted) from my just finished Alaska trip. How close were you? Well done! 8)

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    No, killer whales don't usually come this far south.
    The calf was about 500'-700' away when it breached. I had backed off on the zoom somewhat, just to make sure I got it all in, it was about 230mm (35mm equiv). The photo shown is about a 50% crop of the full image, not bad for the nature of the shot, and one of the best I taken to date given it's only the 3rd breach I've been able to photograph.
    Thanks again for all the kind words.

13. Beautiful capture, love the arch and you've capture the spray well with the speed. Not an easy capture and you've done well with it.

14. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have to commend you on a great shot! :)
    I went on a whale watch trip a week ago out of Provincetown. We also ran into a Humpback who also breached twice. I wasn't lucky enough to get either shot. I just stood there with my mouth open. :cry:
    The guide on the boat said that they usually breach twice. If I ever go again I will be ready.

15. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Yep, I was out there for that one, it was Sedge, an adult male. I only saw the foaming water where he went back in.....I've been lucky, I've been able to get the second breach almost every time.

16. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    The Humpback that I saw was also identified as being Sedge. :) I guess he gets around!

17. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Actually, he does, but the reason I knew that was that I was out there that weekend, too. I usually go out of Plymouth, but we end up at the same place as the P-Town boats. I also know that for the last two weekends in June, Sedge was the only humpback in the area. BTW, he's not there anymore, as of July 3, he was making his way north. I saw him off Newburyport last Sunday! They can do 10 mph but usually travel about 3 mph.

18. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I saw him on the 24th of June at about 1:00 pm. Maybe 2-3 miles off the beach. We also saw quite a few Finbacks right along the beach. Not as visually exciting as the Humpbacks.