Humpback Whale Up Close

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    This humpback was coming to the surface just feet from the boat. You can see the baleen which it uses to strain food. Oh, by the way, this is a small one, a juvenile, only 2-4 years old.
    50348071.ReadyToSurface_3554.

2. That is very close in what looks like a calm sea. Thanks for sharing this image Baywing.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow Bay, that is very close. Nice image. Looks like a good outing for sure. :smile:

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Great capture. That must have been quite an experience.

5. Super catch, Baywing! I love whales! How about a larger version, so we can see more detail? Any other shots in the series?

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, Gordon, it was a calm day and we got the trip in before the fog returned. I've found calm seas cause the D100 some AF problems, there isn't much contrast to lock onto. Hopefully, the D200 will be better.

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, Frank, it was very close. I'm usually on the upper deck, but decided to try the lower one for a change. At one point, there were 5 of them headed straight for the boat, they were almost close enough to reach out and touch before they dove under the boat. I had the F5 with a wider lens, can't wait to see the slides. One of the better trips of the year, for sure.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Jeff, it was. To see them so close is rare and very special. This year they have been too busy eating to interact much with the boats.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, UF. I have to keep the file sizes small as I have a dial-up connection. I also only post low-res images to try to minimize the theft issue, I sell prints and if the files are larger, folks will tend to print them out themselves.
    How about this one from a few seconds later?
    50348073.NexttotheBoat_3556.

10. Very nice, Baywing. You've connected with the whale.

11. Cool! Made me want to reach out and touch it.

12. Great close-up! The calm sea was definitely a plus for pictures!

13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, everyone. I don't get those kinds of conditions often, and even when the weather co-operates, often the humpbacks don't, so to get everything going together at the same time and place and being there to see it is a great bit of luck. (I'd like to say I can plan parts of it, but Wed was certainly not my doing! I can't explain why the fog lifted just as we left port, stayed away until we started back in, or why the predicted seas of 2-3 feet never materialized!)
    Yes, Uncle Frank, I do have a connection with the humpbacks, more so than most people could comprehend......