Humpbacks bubblenet feeding

We have seen groups of up to 15 whales cooperatively feeding for herring using bubblenets. The whales blow a net of bubbles around the herring, concentrating them into a tight group, then the whales surge up through the ball of herring with their mouths agape, taking in tons of herring. These groups are matriarchal in nature, with the matriarch (mother) being in the center of the group, and her offerspring around her.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wowwwwww, to be right there seeing it, instead of in front of the TV on the discovery channel. I've heard of bubblenetting and have seen shots from underwater to explain it, but have never seen the fury of the method shot from above! Didn't know humpbacks where matriarchal in nature. We still have so much to learn.

Excellent shots, Steve!!! MORE!!!

Very nice shots...really good as a matter of fact. I saw something like this about 20 years ago on my first whale outting. LOL, no camera. I have never seen anything like it again. Very well captured!

James

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom