Humpbacks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Phil K, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Well, these are nothing comparing to Baywing's amazing collections.

Just back from Cairns, Australia. On the return trip from the Great Barrier Reef, we spotted a humpback with her calf. It's a big bonus of the trip. All shot with the 24-120VR (darn! I wished I had the 70-200 with me).

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Brew

Brew Guest

Very nice, in the right place at the right time!!!!

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    WOW! Mom and the calf both breaching repeatedly! You got lucky, they don't breach that often. I would suggest a little work in post process will really kick those photos up. Given the lens you had, you did very well, if they were that close to you, a longer lens might have done you more harm. Did you get wet?????? Not much smellier than whale breath.....

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great series Phil. I agree with the other posters. Amazing that you got so many shots of them breaching, especially in tandem. :wink:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Superior shots,

Great experience for sure.

6. Wow, it's amazing to think that this huge beast can get up out of the water like that. I have never been up close and personal like that. Good series Phil.

7. These are fantastic shots, Phil! Thanks for sharing these.

8. Phil,

Great shots. I am amazed at the strength, yet grace of the
    whales.

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great shots, Phil! You were really lucky to see that much breaching going on and to be able to anticipate where they would come up to get those shots. And, sooooooo close to them!

10. Hi Phil,

Those are great photos of the Humpbacks! It looks like you were very close to them.
    For those that have not seen them in person, each flipper (arm) on the Humpback is about the size of one or two panels of a two-car garage door (maybe 3 feet by 18-20 feet).

Baywing,
    What do you expect when you eat only seafood and don't floss after each meal? :p

Bob

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Very nice what exciting creatures and great to see
    thanks for sharing

12. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Those are great shots of the humpbacks. I can imagine what it was like being there so close to them. They are so powerful and just plain awesome.

-JM

13. Thanks everybody!

Humpback is always my favourite animal and I was thrilled to see them breaching repeatedly right besides our boat, especially I didn't expect to see them. They were really beautiful.

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Bobhoge:

Actually, the flippers are shorter than that, more on the order of 13-15' or 1/3 of the body length. Proportionally, close to the length of a human arm compared to height. The flippers also have the same number of bones as a human hand and they are in the same orientation.