Hunting Heron sequence

I was in Morro Bay for the weekend, attending my son's wedding. The hotel we stayed at was adjacent to a fantastic rookery, so I did a little prowling on Saturday morning. I realize Great Blue Herons are wonderful fishermen, but I didn't realize they hunted on land as well. I'll let the following sequence, taken with the 80-200/2.8D and Kenko Pro 1.4x combo, speak for itself.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 10010
View attachment 10011
View attachment 10012
View attachment 10013
View attachment 10014
View attachment 10015
View attachment 10016

Hi UF

Neat, neat series!

I've never seen the herons in my neck of the woods hunt anywhere but in the water, but it sure looks like they'll eat just about anything!

B

Brew

Great Series of captures!!!! Obviously the mouse didn't think that ate them either :lol:

Unbelievable captures...talk about being in the right place at the right time. Absolutely outstanding images....

J

jkamphof

Amazing, I had no idea they ate land animals that's so bizarre.

You should track down details of the GBH and see if this is in fact common or if this is a unique trait of this particular bird....if unique try and submit these photo's to a research team....might help a study...

Cool!!!

Joel.

Great capture I saw the same thing last year at my locla lake the hron was walkign on the grass struck the hunting pose and then grabbed and unsuspecting mole

Thank you all for your kind comments. I've been informed that this is normal behavior for the GBH, and
that the creature being hunted is (or should that be was ) a "pocket gopher".

Great series!!! I can just hear it "OK, everyone's getting ready for the wedding... but where on earth is Frank? Fraaaaaaank?????? Oh lord he's out shooting pictures again!!!!" *LOL*

great sequence Frank! I've certainly never seen them eat a furry critter before, but I think they will eat just about anything that they can fit down their throats ;-)

Great series Frank. I had no idea that they ate anything but fish. Amazing shots.

don't thisnk that was a mounse. more like a small rat. was this thing dead whenit ate it. I would think it could cause some serious damage if not. good catches. both of ya!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom