Hunting Heron sequence

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 6, 2005.

1. I was in Morro Bay for the weekend, attending my son's wedding. The hotel we stayed at was adjacent to a fantastic rookery, so I did a little prowling on Saturday morning. I realize Great Blue Herons are wonderful fishermen, but I didn't realize they hunted on land as well. I'll let the following sequence, taken with the 80-200/2.8D and Kenko Pro 1.4x combo, speak for itself.

original.
    View attachment 10010
    View attachment 10011
    View attachment 10012
    View attachment 10013
    View attachment 10014
    View attachment 10015
    View attachment 10016

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi UF

Neat, neat series!

I've never seen the herons in my neck of the woods hunt anywhere but in the water, but it sure looks like they'll eat just about anything!

3. Brew

Brew Guest

Great Series of captures!!!! Obviously the mouse didn't think that ate them either :lol:

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Unbelievable captures...talk about being in the right place at the right time. Absolutely outstanding images....

5. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Amazing, I had no idea they ate land animals that's so bizarre.

You should track down details of the GBH and see if this is in fact common or if this is a unique trait of this particular bird....if unique try and submit these photo's to a research team....might help a study...

Cool!!!

Joel.

6. Great series, Frank. Looks like you were at the right place at the right time!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. Great capture I saw the same thing last year at my locla lake the hron was walkign on the grass struck the hunting pose and then grabbed and unsuspecting mole

8. Thank you all for your kind comments. I've been informed that this is normal behavior for the GBH, and
    that the creature being hunted is (or should that be was ) a "pocket gopher".

9. Great series, Uncle Frank!! Don't get to see such activity very often, let alone get good shots of it!

10. Great series!!! I can just hear it "OK, everyone's getting ready for the wedding... but where on earth is Frank? Fraaaaaaank?????? Oh lord he's out shooting pictures again!!!!" *LOL*

11. great sequence Frank! I've certainly never seen them eat a furry critter before, but I think they will eat just about anything that they can fit down their throats ;-)

12. Great serie Frank :!: I never think a GBH could hunt a mouse. Very good nature life's lesson.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great series Frank. I had no idea that they ate anything but fish. Amazing shots.

14. NO WAY!!! That was the most AWESOME series ever!! :D :D :D :D

15. Very nice!!!

When I saw those at Dpreview I coldn't stop smiling... Great job!

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Gophers?

Amazing sequence of captures Frank. I had no idea they ate anything but aquatic life!

17. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    don't thisnk that was a mounse. more like a small rat. was this thing dead whenit ate it. I would think it could cause some serious damage if not. good catches. both of ya!

18. Great sequence of events Frank!!! Starting to think those GBH's are garbage disposals. LOL...........great shots!!!

19. Terrific series, Frank!!! That little gopher was quite a mouthfull - or I should say beakfull. :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing.