Hunting partners...

I got my falcony permit last fall and trapped an immature female redtail and have trained her to hunt with me. She is quite the hunter, her flights on game are absolutely fascinating.

This is one of my best shots this season after a sucessful hunt. The beagle always lets her know how he feels about her catching his fuzzie...
Our hawking season ended March 31 - I will be releasing Roxie back to the wild this coming weekend.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A couple head on shots..

Take care
Dave

Fascinating! What a beautiful bird and your dog is pretty cool too! It must be just amazing to work with such a fantastic bird. So I know nothing about falconry, so I'm going to ask the dumb question...you release her to the wild and then what? She shows up at your house next hunting season with a fifth of Wild Turkey and says 'lets go?' :biggrin: You know I'm half-serious, 'cause I can't imagine a better huntin' buddy!

Note to Jim and Troy...you guys know I love hunting with you, but the snoring....:tongue:

Gotta love that 1rst shot with the hawk and dog! I've been to a couple of falconry competitions and know that hunting with a bird can be tons of fun, just can't photograph a peregrine going in for the kill - too darned fast!

I am surprised by the release back to the wild too. Would love to know more about it.

And they are all great shots, love the beagle giving her the what for.

Thanks a lot guys - much appreciated.

They say the mortality rate for first year birds is close to 70% thier first winter. Having a falconer take one in during this time pretty much guarantees they will make it. She'll get fed everyday, wether we catch something or not. That's why falconers are only allowed to trap immature birds for training. After hunting with her all winter long I can assure you she will have no problem making it on her own.

I could keep her if I wanted to, but you can't really hunt with them in the summer - you have to keep them real fat while they moult and get their mature feathers in. It's called intermewing them. A lot of falconers do it though. If I did keep her - I would need to buy all her food and have someone feed her if I were to go on vacation during the summer.

I find it would be just as easy to let her go and trap and train a new one next year, seems how it only takes a few weeks to train one. Each bird has their own personality so it will be a good experience for me to train another one while I'm still in my apprenticeship.

They say after releasing her back to the wild again , she'll be just as wild as the day I trapped her after she catches a couple meals on her own.

I hope this explains it a little better. If you ever get a chance to go out with a falconer and his bird - you should go just for the experience - it is quite amazing that's for sure.

Here she is right out of the bownet

Same day back at the garage.

And here she is two weeks later - she is like a whole different bird. Had her flying to me in two weeks.

And some more shots from this year.

My friend Doreen and Roxie. I tiold her it can be a little scary the first time she flies at ya..Her face says it all...

Here's my buddy SlipBob calling her in so I could get some landing shots..

And here's what happens when you're not ready but she wants to land anyway...lol...

My boy Dobie Roxie, and another rabbit

It's been a fun journey and can't wait to do it all again next year.
Until next time - take good care
Dave

OMG those shots with SlipBob are hilarious. Thanks so much for following up with all these shots for us newbs. Really looks like an amazing experience with a magnificent bird. I'm going to have to see what if I can find some falconers around here. I'd really love to see it myself.:smile:

I feel like I've just watched an episode of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom! Seriously, how cool is having a freakin' wild bird hunt with you? Really neat, and really great photos too!

OMG those shots with SlipBob are hilarious. Thanks so much for following up with all these shots for us newbs. Really looks like an amazing experience with a magnificent bird. I'm going to have to see what if I can find some falconers around here. I'd really love to see it myself.:smile:
Tim, I just met a falconer a few days ago. He has been at it for a while, I am hoping to go out into the field with him in the near future. I'll keep you posted.

m

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom