1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hurdle Fever

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mkemd21, Jun 13, 2011.

1. mkemd21

mkemd21

Dec 1, 2008
    New York
    Here are a few pics from the T&F state qualifier. I concentrated on the hurdle events at the start of the meet. It's interesting to note the different styles of the athletes. Hurdling is a highly technical event. Clearly some of these athletes have better techniques.

I will post the other events in a few days.

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

2. Nice set - you're right about the varying techniques :biggrin:

3. Nice job on these. I like the head on perspective seeing both the foreground and background OOF.

Well done.

4. nice work...it absolutely is, I ran 110 highs and 330 intermediates...grew up in the Edwin Moses era just loving to watch him run so 'effortlessly'.

5. mkemd21

mkemd21

Dec 1, 2008
    New York
    Thanks everyone. I enjoy shooting the hurdle events. I do remember Moses. He was untouchable for many years, and is one of the few hurdlers who could run under 47 seconds.

6. Ditto! Great work Mike, the hurdles are to be appreciated just like this, well done!

7. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    Even though it isn't action, I like #1 the best. Nice framing technique and I will have to remember in case I ever have to get a feature shot of a specific athlete.

8. mkemd21

mkemd21

Dec 1, 2008
    New York
    Thanks, Steve and Jon.

For #1, occasionally a hurdler will look up for a brief moment after they get set. Since you have to choose a lane to shoot, you have to be lucky for the athlete in your lane doing that. But catching that moment is exhilarating. A shot with the hurdler looking right at you delivers much more impact IMHO.

9. kuzzy

kuzzy

Nov 3, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Put me down for liking #1, Ditto what John said.

10. ReggieReg

ReggieReg

Sep 19, 2008
    Clarksburg MD
    1 is awesome!

11. tharing

tharing

Apr 11, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Really nice!

12. Mike J

Mike J

Feb 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Fell in love with #1. What awesome framing. Would love to see one where you did catch them looking down the track at the camera.

13. mkemd21

mkemd21

Dec 1, 2008
    New York
    Thanks, Todd and Mike. Haven't got one yet where the athlete is looking at the camera. Will keep shooting :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.