Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbird, Sep 7, 2017.

1. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    It looks like Florida is going to take a beating. Based on the forecast track and the size of the storm, the whole state will be impacted to one extent or another. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Florida.

Please be safe. No storm photo is worth risking your safety. A few of the local photographers on Flickr that I follow had some of those photos. I had to wonder, "What were they thinking?". So please be safe. Check in when you can.

2. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Sadness for all those in Antigua & Barbuda who have lost almost everything, devastating destruction. :(

3. To all my fellow Floridians, please be safe. My heart to all Texans who have already gone through this (my own family being just north of the major hit).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Absolutely! And what is even sadder is Hurricane Jose, now Cat 3 and strengthening, is on track to hit them again over the weekend.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gear Head

Gear Head

Dec 4, 2011
    Beachside!
    Yep we are so screwed :( living beachside has its downfalls. Thinking of shipping some hard drives just so they will survive
    Gary

6. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Thanks Dossy, Irma is definitely a stronger and larger storm than Harvey. I think the only good thing about it is it is moving relatively fast. I sure wish it would keep more to the east where the east side of Florida is not as affected by the dirty side of the storm. I know once we got to the clean side of Harvey, the storm seemed less intense.

7. rpracing

rpracing

Mar 7, 2011
    S. WI
    Katia is supposed to hit the east coast of Mexico around 1am sat. Don't remember ever seeing 3 going on at once around the Gulf.

8. Thoughts and prayers to all of you in harms way.

9. Be safe our friends in Florida.

10. Gear Head

Gear Head

Dec 4, 2011
    Beachside!
    Almost 6am and still have power. Wind is picking up and steady not much rain (for us anyway :bored:)
    Gary

11. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Looks like there is going to be more damage from wind and storm surge than from rain fall. My brother lives in Brooksville north of Tampa. Lots of big trees in the area.

12. I see no more posts from our Florida folks since early Sunday. I guess they still have no electrical power.

13. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I received a text from my brother who lives north of Tampa. They are without power but otherwise ok. I head heard over 6 million people are without power in the state. Given the number of big trees in central Florida, I would imagine there are a lot of downed power lines.

14. Still no power in my home. Went in to work today and have power and internet in almost all of my offices. Thankfully there was no flooding in our area. We did get some pretty impressive winds which downed numerous trees and power lines throughout our county. We are slated to have power back up by Sunday the latest.

All of my camera gear was safely tucked away in several large Pelican cases I purchased years ago. It's nice not to have to worry about the gear during storms.

15. Glad to have you back safe Mitch, and your family too.

16. It's actually been quite pleasant with cool, dry air after the storm passed, but today we have returned to our usual September heat, and the lack of air conditioning is going to be unpleasant tonight.

17. No AC in our old house, so it has been tough with the stifling smoke much of the past month--can't open widows. But it's dry heat :)

18. Yuk. The best part of living where you are is opening the windows during the summer and fall. Those scary fires are ruining it for you.

19. Yeah, but compared to what you and Texas went through, and still are, we had it ever so easy!