Hurricane Katrina Archives

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by David_Bailey, Jul 6, 2007.

1. With the new hurricane season upon us I thought I'd share a few from my archives. These were shot in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi which was ravaged with almost total destruction.

A resident notifying his neighbors that he is o.k. This was the top of his 2 story home that move approx. 2 blocks down the road.

original.

I believe this was the Highway 90 bridge that leads to Biloxi across the bay. It was just rebuilt and reopened last month.

View attachment 104338

One of the few homes still "standing" (or leaning as the case may be).

View attachment 104339

A labor and delivery room at the Hancock Medical Center.

View attachment 104340

You can see the rest at: http://www.pbase.com/dbphotos/hurricane_katrina

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What a devistation that was.
    Good images

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I feel like Mississippi got overlooked with all the coverage of New Orleans. The devastation was unbelievable. I went into a house in Waveland, that was 2 miles back from the coast. The high watermark was 11 1/2 ft. in the living room. His insurance would not pay because they said the surge was a flood. So he would have to have flood insurance to cover it.

4. Yeah, Mississippi did get overlooked in much of the news coverage even though their damage was much more widespread. I have had over 250,000 people look at my individual Katrina images on pbase. It's amazing if you go to the gallery page (linked above) you'll see that hundreds have left messages. I'm blown away by the # of people that have used it for prayers, wishes and trying to reach out to individuals. I know of at least 1 family that found a family member off the site. Sometimes you never know what your images will do.

So far they've been used by NASA, newspapers and magazines all over the world, FOX, CNN and a few others. It was amazing since I only shot about 2 hours total the 3 days I was there following the hurricane. The rest of the time I was helping people dig out. It was a time I will never forget.

Thanks for the comments.

5. dmoores

dmoores

Jan 15, 2006
    I work for the power company here, and we sent some of our lineman down there to help restore power. They said it was awful.

6. OnlyJess243

OnlyJess243 Guest

i have to say that number one is a wonderful shot. its devestating what had happened but you really captured the moment well.

7. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Great shots, I especially like #1 and the stark composition of #2.

8. #1 was the most popular and published worldwide. I personally like #2, there is just something about it with the NYC USAR guy and the missing bridge. I'm planning on returning at some point to do a follow up shoot. I understand most of it has not been rebuilt.

9. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    #1 is very powerful

10. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

correction.

original.

number 1 is the most powerful i've seen of the katrina event..... brings it home to someone who has never been in a hurricane.

11. We were in NOLA last summer, we have friends there. I could not get over the devastation. It was so strange to walk through the French Quater. It's like it's in a bubble and but the rest of the city was in the real world. Thanks for the photos. One thing I can say is that the people were just as friendly dispite the horror.

12. Here's a link to several of my other photos from this trip:

http://www.pbase.com/dbphotos/hurricane_katrina

The amazing thing is the # of people that have left messages on my pbase gallery page with well wishes, looking for friends and family, etc. Take a look through the notes, it's amazing.

Thanks for all the comments. It was a life changing experience.

13. #1 is very moving. I was able to be in Bay St. Louis about 3-4 after the storm to help just a little with restoring utilities. I will never forget the experiance. I would really like to go back this fall and see how how things are coming along.

14. David,
    This is great PJ work..love your perspective on the devastation. I live 70 mi from Bay St. Louis and was heartbroken at the destroying of the Old Town Historic area on Beach Drive. Businesses are rebuilding...it's a slow process, though. The really nice homes along the beach were completely destroyed and very few have started rebuilding.
    Love you work,
    Wayne

15. You mean like this one?

original.

or this one?

View attachment 104343

16. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Seeing these images put a chill on my spine. My wife and I were stuck in the Hyatt across the Superdome since i was there for a conference...we were stuck there for a week before they evacuated us...and...Cat was 5 months pregnant with no electricity and running water...Thank God for taking care of us!

17. Wow, #1 is moving, but they're all great work!

18. Thanks again for the comments.

19. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    What amazed me the most was a tall untouched waffle house sign next to a bare slab wiped clean of where the the waffle house used to be. I agree that Mississippi did get the short end of the media coverage. However it looks like it is bouncing back quicker than New Orleans. Louisiana Politics there is nothing more amazing, funny, and sad at the same time.

Excellent photos.

Larry