Hurricane Katrina

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by lr1811, Sep 11, 2005.

1. For those of you that do not know, I am a federal Law Enforcement Officer (Special Agent). I spent 6 days in New Orleans last week. We assisted search & rescue teams as well as assistance to the Jefferson Parish Sherrif's Office. Although I am proud of the experience, I would not wish what I saw on anyone. I took a lot of photos, but many did not come out as well as I had hoped. I was also unable to take my camera some of the days. Anyway, here are a few of my photos...

"This is how I ride" - in this case a minivan with side doors open and machine guns ready. In the background is the Superdome, or what many referred to as "hell"...
    [​IMG]

People took shelter underneath bridges like this one...
    [​IMG]

the water began to recede in some areas leaving the damage behind...
    [​IMG]

what looting looks like...
    [​IMG]

helicopters were everywhere... this blackhawk was landing at FEMA HQ, which is the N.O. Saints training ground...
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Brian,

Thank you for your work in this disaster. I am sure this is not a pretty sight. Very sad.

Your images are very good, thanks for sharing.

Take care and be careful.

3. Brian

Brings back a lot of memories; certainly not all good.

Having been a boot on the ground for several hurricane aftermaths I know what you are seeing.

As you are experiencing it is difficult to convey the destruction and devastation in images. What I recall was that TV & images in the newspapers could not give that overall impact.

Thanks for your efforts.

Russ

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I've tried to find the words to convey what I feel when I look at your pictures. Sadness...shock...grief....but mostly I feel gratitude for people like you who go in and do something so difficult. Thank you for doing what you do. Please know that you are in our hearts as much as those who have lost everything. We thank you for a job well done.

6. thank you

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I certainly did not seek that but nevertheless it is very nice. Leigh, your words are very touching. Thank you.

The compassion and acts of kindness I saw moved me. I worked with local Police Officers who lost their homes and had no contact with their spouses and children. But yet they worked 12-15 hour days without complaining. Their unselflessness and committment to getting the job done continues at this hour. At a time of such diaster, such grief, people stepped forward and helped their neighbors. Absolutely beautiful.

While there, I had time to reflect on some things that mean so much to me. My wife, my children, my bed, my shower (!). We are so lucky yet we take so much for granted.

Anyway, don't want to babble any further!

A few more photos...

One of the levi's - helicopters dropped these white sandbags on it first (affluent neighborhood behind it flooded)
    [​IMG]

...and then truck after truck carrying gravel dumped their loads followed by a bull dozer (hope these aren't to blurry - had to shoot at night with no tripod and 2-3" shutter)
    [​IMG]

one of the looters favorite vehicles - the forklift. (They also like Post Office trucks)
    [​IMG]

I met a few celebs... John & his wife Kelly (on first name basis now, ha!)
    [​IMG]

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Brian,

I enjoyed viewing your images and reading your accounts of what your mission is and what you have had to witness. Public servants have a "special something" that allows them to function when most would rather not be involved...I tip my hat to you and to those that serve next to you. I've learned through my career that you can't let what you see bother you, instead...you let it make you better. As you mentioned, we all take our blessings for granted...what you have seen will always be etched in your soul and will remain there to remind you of how good you have it. Be safe in the conduct of your duties...always watch your "6"!

8. presentation

I put some photos together and made a little presentation. Again, I wish I had my camera at all times because I missed some really great photo opportunities. However, the risk of losing my camera was too great so I have to deal with what I have.

http://www.thetownsendfamily.com/katrina.html

9. Thanks for sharing these images Brian. That was a difficult assignment I am certain. My son is in the 82nd Airborne and he too was providing security in the French Quarter area. Here is a picture of him and some of the other soldiers with him. They were on a detail to protect the President on a recent trip to that area.

David (my son) is in the back row, second from the left.

10. !

Tell him to keep dry, looks like they are getting pounded with water as I type. Our military is awesome, I know you are proud of your son and I def. appreciate what he and others are doing!

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;