Hurricane Wilma experience from GeeJay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Oct 26, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi to you all and thanks for concern,

We just got our power back a few minutes ago so wanted to write to let you all know we're alive and well with no major damage...and very lucky. I live about 25 miles from Naples and 40 from Marco Island where the eye hit and did lots of damage..

Very early on Monday during the hurricane we lost our phone,cable,cell phones and power. It was a horrendous storm.Fortunately we have storm shutters on all the windows so they were protected. The danger is that the windows break and the wind gushes into the vacuum and blows the roof off.

We put in a generator a few years ago and that turned on a few things and kept the kitchen refrigerator going and we were able to use the portable microwave. At least could have coffee.

The real blessing is that fall,cool weather followed directly as the storm passed and without that we would have sweltered with no air conditioning. That meant we could sleep at night with windows open.

There's much damage in the city.We ventured out today and saw many traffic lights on the ground, trees down all over the place and much damage to houses but we saw no rooftops off.

I"d say we're all very lucky on this one and have much to be thankful for.

Now that our power is back life will get back to normal. After an experience like this it's hard to knnow what 'normal' is...this tends to put everything into perspective very quickly.

It meant a great deal to me to read your concern about me in the forum posts.......and I thank you for that... I feel like I"ve been away to another planet and back but back to all you great folks,

I wish you all well and thank you very much,

Gaye

2. Glad you're back and A OK!!!

3. Glad to hear all is well with you and your loved ones Gaye! These storms can be scary. Let's hope they're gone now for another year!!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    So glad that you and Stan are OK Gaye. Sounds like a very scary experience.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    There she is, Lil Miss 200-400 handheld!!! :wink: Hey, glad you guys all survived, and I hope you get things totally back to normal soon. Hope your doggies didn't go poopie too much where they weren't supposed to! :eek:

6. Glad you're safe and sound, Gaye.

7. it is sweet relief to hear from you. it has been a tough fall for you, traveling in the aftermath of Katrina with fuel price/shortage issues and then fear for your well being in Wilma. Glad to have you back, safe and whole.
    Dave

8. Hi Kevin,

Glad you're back and the storm didn't affect you much. This morning, I emailed Gale asking about you.

9. Thanks for your concern, Dao! PM sent! :wink:

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Glad to hear that you weathered the storm okay, Gaye. I can't imagine what it must be like to know well in advance that a storm is coming, have plenty of time to prepare...then wait for the thing to arrive. You guys are either brave...or just plain crazy!!! But thankfully, safe and sound.

12. Glad to see you back online.

I know based on my brothers experiences, who lives in Pensacola that these things can cause lots of damage.

Mark.

13. Hi Gaye

Got your message at home and happy to hear everybody is ok.
    Talk to you soon.

Dave,June and Jenna

14. Glad you are OK with minimal damage :smile:

15. Glad to hear that you and your husband are OK.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gaye,
    I am so glad to hear from you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    was sooooooo worried. :>))
    I am glad you came thru ok.
    Only thing here is my DSL is down .. Easy to handle. Tough to look at pics. Can't up-load.
    But thats ok. I am ok.
    I wanted so much to call you, but have no long distance on my phone.
    Thank You so much for checking in.
    Love and hugs
    Gale

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Glad to hear that you are OK. Looks like we made it through another hurricane season. We can relax a little until next year. Best wishes.

18. So glad you're OK and you've come through virtually unscathed... Bet you've planted a big fat kiss on the top of that generator when the coffee comes through!! *LOL*

19. Glad to hear you "weathered" the storm, Gaye. We've been thinking about and praying for all of our Floridian friends, and it's great to hear from you!

Take a deep breath, then let us know if we can help in any way so that you can start putting things in order again.

20. GaryW

GaryW Guest

We, on the gulf coast, are not out of the woods yet. Another month to go in the hurricane season.

Gaye (and all of you Floridians), I am glad that you weathered the storm without major damage.

Gary