Hutchinson Island and Bear Point come alive...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Sep 18, 2005.

1. It's like someone turned on a light switch and now there is an incredible amount of activity on the island. On the way to Bear Point Sanctuary I saw some old friends:
    original.

Once on the island, there were birds waking up from roosting in the trees:
    original.
    there were also little blues, white ibis, tricolors in the trees all over the place. Osprey all over the place:
    original.
    this one is from the pier:
    original.
    past the pier, by the gate to go deep into Bear Point is a new sign:
    original.
    once in there were many kingfisher fighting for territory:
    original.
    original.

On the way home I saw osprey on trees, but went by this one bird on a tree that made me hit the brakes, turn around and go back. I am quiet certain it was a Peregrine falcon. It takes off, flying backlit, so I go down A1A, the main road, parallelling it. I pull into a couple of beach accesses to see if I can get closer, but no go. Did see some young wood storks:
    original.

well, I was on the south side of the island almost to the causeway when I see a smaller raptor on a tree:
    original.
    imagine seeing two peregrines in one day! This was cropped a lot, I need more lens.. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  2. Excellent indeed! I am getting the itch to get back out and do some bird work.

3. Really great series of shots. You have quite a variety of birds here.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow those are really nice Harris.

You nailed that Kingfisher :>)))) good job.

Great variety.

Thanks for sharing

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent series Harris. All good, but the Kingfisher especially so because they are usually so skittish.

Well done. :smile:

6. better bring the deep woods off so you dont itch from something else..

7. Gordon, it's the beginning of fall migration. while we do have a lot of resident birds, the Peregrines are probably going to pass thru along with a variety of hawks and other birds.

8. Well gale, come on down!

9. The term bat out of hell should be kingfisher out of hell. You know how they move...

10. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Excellent work Harris. I really like the first Osprey and the one of the juvie Wood Stork is the first image I've ever seen that makes one almost look attractive. :)

Neil

11. Nice series harris, but where is the bear! :rolleyes: Nice variety of birds but no sandhills :confused:

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Swwweeettt stuff
    that Osprey and Kingfisher really nice
    just starting to kingfishers around here and boy are they tuff to get a decent shot, your's are great

13. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Harris a few bears the next time , please?
    According to the sign they live there along with some feathered friends of you

14. thanks Neil, Keith, Ben and Hans... :smile:

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yowser, nice work bud! Love that 1st & last ones. Boy, I sure wished there were something to shoot around here!

16. Only 5 more weeks buddy! :smile: