Hydrogen

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Chris101, Oct 1, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chris :

Brings back a lot of memories for me - I must have fixed a pile o' those many years gone past.

And now I get to see that same process on an industrial scale with several clients of mine, except they want me to help them avoid having the hydrogen explode.

Once a science geek...

John P.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Get a room guys.

Yes, my device is on a very small scale. It'll make a liter of H2 a day. Let's see John, large scale electrolysis in New Mexico... shouldn't be too hard to figure out ... :wink: Just follow the wires!

I put a percent or two of sulfuric acid into the water so it conducts better, and connect a 12 V power supply to the platinum wire electrodes. A 160 ohm shunt resistor limits the current through the solution to about 50 mA, and this is the limiting factor in the gas production.

By removing the shunt and increasing the voltage to 24 V, hydrogen production quadruples. The oxygen side however, produces ozone instead of O2. I like to setup the apparatus in the overvoltage state for advanced students. The ratio of hydrogen to oxygen being closer to 3:1 than the normal 2:1 gives them pause. Some of their explanations crack me up.

Speaking of keeping it from exploding John, I get to make it explode - ya gotta know that part in order to know how to keep it from happening, right? :wink: In order to get a cool bang, the machine is setup to run 8 volts (rms) AC current through it. Then the gas generated is a stoichiometric mixture of 2H2 + O2. The perfect mixture for complete combustion. :biggrin:

ps, be careful and [highlight]don't try this at home![/highlight]

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005