I’m a Youth Soccer Team Sponsor

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by wingspar, Sep 17, 2008.

1. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    This thread back in April gave me an idea. To sponsor a Youth Soccer team. So, this year I shoot youth soccer, not for the paper, but as a team sponsor. We played our first game this past Saturday, and won 6-0. It is the U8 age group. I’ll do a team photo on the first cloudy game day we get. Lighting conditions for the first game were miserable. Game time. 9:30 am. Bright sun. Ugly shadows. Took some heavy processing, but after a few images, and realizing this was going to take way to long, I opened ACR, did the difficult adjustments to one image, then applied them to the rest of the 60+ images. Things sped up, and looked better after that. Still not ideal. The D2H seems to have problems with these kinds of conditions, or my processing skills still need some honing. Probably a combo of both.

First 3 images with the 70-200 VR, and the last with the 300 f/2.8 and 1.4 TC. Awesome combo.

103277480.jpg

103277482.jpg

103277484.jpg

103277485.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. LOL, I kinda figured your name was Gary :biggrin:

3. Nice idea and good follow through, I'd be interested in seeing how it all washes out at the end of the season

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    As soon as I saw that, I figured it was my thread. :biggrin:

Good for you, Gary!

A couple things;

Pick a couple favorites that show your name well. Give those parents a couple 8x10s, and ask them sign a model release so you can use them for promotional purposes.

Also, just a heads up. Does your league have a designated T&I photographer?

If so, be careful about shooting a team photo. The league that I shoot for (150-200 teams depending on season) has two designated T&I shooters, and one designated action shooter. :wink: I don't step on their toes, and they don't step on mine. We all get along fine, and the league is happy with us. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    You've piqued my interest! At the risk of being utterly naive, what is involved in becoming a team sponsor?

6. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I sponsor my club (in kind - end of year prizegiving slideshow in exchange for official sponsor status, link on webpage to my galleries, etc), rather than a team, for me its been a good way of entrenching yourself within the club culture.

7. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA

I don't have a D2H, but I have Hogan's D2H eBook.

Don't ask why. :biggrin:

Anywho, yes, according to Hogan, if your scene is low contrast, the D2H will meter perfectly. With high contrast, you need to work a little. At least, that is how I read it.

8. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    It’s a small town with lots of P&S parents. I don’t have high hopes for sales. Sometimes people wait to see if I come up with something better before plunking down their money. Just this week, I got an order from sports photos from 2005 and 2006. Making some money will be good, but I am enjoying this, and that is more of a motivator for me.

I don’t think I would have thought about doing this if it wasn’t for your thread. I’m really enjoying this experience. It’s a very small town, and there is really no one else in town that is doing this. A couple of years ago, the league asked me for a price to do team photos. They choked at the price I quoted them, and ended up getting the teams together after a game on a designated day, and the parents that wanted to, shot them with their P&S cameras. I intend to do a team photo of my team more for myself than anything else. If parents want to buy copies, I’ll be glad to sell to them. I’m not sure what I’ll do if the soccer board approaches me to do team photos again this year, but if I do it, I have to wonder how to keep parents from taking their own shots, or if that would even be wise. I’m treading some new ground here, and certainly don’t want to make any bad impressions. It started off good with 100% agreement from the soccer board to have me continue shooting youth soccer, even tho I don’t work for the paper anymore.

Nothing more than telling the board that you want to sponsor a team. From what I understand, it is minimal paper work, and $125 to $200. I’ve personally known a couple of the board members for years, and everything was done thru email. No formal paperwork yet. Very low key.

I’ve had a pair of D2H’s for several years, and that has been my experience. On cloudy days, it’s great. Excellent even. On bright contrasty days, it gives me fits, and I have the camera set to low contrast. In comparing with images set to normal or high contrast, there really isn’t much difference.

9. Dennis,

I sponsored my son's house league team this year in baseball. There was minimal paperwork (name, address, telephone number, amount and proper spelling of the team name). In return, I received a presence on their web site and nominally, company name on at least one team's jersey (I sponsored through my real estate brokerage, unfortunately we were late, so jerseys had already been printed. We worked out a make good in any event.)

It's good fun, good exposure and worth the nominal fee.